Subject: [rohc] Placement of ROHC in Wimax

From: Vishranth <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 May 2007 22:53:54 -0700 (PDT)

Hi,
 The .16 WG has told in its release of .16e that CS layer should support
ROHC (with IPv4 or/and IPv6) over Ethernet. Now can anyone tell me about any
resource which tells confirmatively about the existance of ROHC in WiMax and
how and where it sits? All the documents that I was able to find were
proposals. So could anyone tell me if anything is accepted and made
standard.. Since ROHC is not compeletely defined for WiMax its working
scenario is also unknown to me... Could anyone comment on this also..

Thanks
Vish
-- 
View this message in context: http://www.nabble.com/Placement-of-ROHC-in-Wimax-tf3770094.html#a10659018
Sent from the IETF - Rohc mailing list archive at Nabble.com.
_______________________________________________
Rohc mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/rohc

---

From: Rakesh Mawa <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 25 May 2007 18:09:17 +0530

Hi Vish,
The corrigendum 2 (refer to 802.16e Cor2, D3) removed the ROHC functions 
(classicifation/context etc.) from the CS layer. It is assumed that the 
ROHC instance is outside the .16 MAC layer and the MAC layer provides 
transport for ROHC packets as well as explicit signalling for out of band 
exchange of negotiated Channel State parameters(as part of Service Flow 
signalling).
hth
regards
-Rakesh Mawa

Vishranth <[email-masked]> 
05/17/2007 11:23 AM

To
[email-masked]
cc

Subject
[rohc] Placement of ROHC in Wimax

Hi, The .16 WG has told in its release of .16e that CS layer should 
support ROHC (with IPv4 or/and IPv6) over Ethernet. Now can anyone tell me 
about any resource which tells confirmatively about the existance of ROHC 
in WiMax and how and where it sits? All the documents that I was able to 
find were proposals. So could anyone tell me if anything is accepted and 
made standard.. Since ROHC is not compeletely defined for WiMax its 
working scenario is also unknown to me... Could anyone comment on this 
also.. Thanks Vish 
View this message in context: Placement of ROHC in Wimax
Sent from the IETF - Rohc mailing list archive at Nabble.com.
_______________________________________________
Rohc mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/rohc

*****************************************************DISCLAIMER*****************************************************

This message and/or attachment(s) contained here are confidential, proprietary to HUGHES SYSTIQUE and its customers. 
Contents may be privileged or otherwise protected by law. The information is solely intended for the entity it is 
addressed to. If you are not the intended recipient of this message, it is strictly prohibited to read, forward, 
print, retain, copy or disseminate this message or any part of it. If you have received this e-mail in error, 
please notify the sender immediately and delete the message.

********************************************************************************************************************

---

From: Vishranth <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 27 May 2007 23:52:33 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Rakesh,
Yes the corrigendum 2 has removed the ROHC functions from CS layer but it
also says that MAC layer provides transport for ROHC packets. Now my doubt
here is that even if all the channel parameters are negotiated by the L2
layer during initial entry how does one identify a compressed data packet to
its inteded destination. If there are multiple connections from one BS(RAS)
to many SS(PSS) and if each SS(PSS) has negotiated multile ROHC channels
again then just by looking at the ROHC Context ID in the ROHC packet CS
layer can't decide on where the packet is destined to. (I m sorry I m
posting a WiMax problem scenario in ROHC mailing list but I m trying to go
from my playgrounds to the unknown fields. I was involved in ROHC for
sometime now and am moving to WiMax hence thought of asking here if anyone
had a clue about this.)
For the solution to this problem I was looking over various ROHC over X
documents and till now have found only ROHC over PPP. Is there any
possibility of having a standard "ROHC over Ethernet" or "ROHC over GRE". I
hope there are still some Reserved bits for the protocol field in both the
L2 layer protocol which could help us in identifying the underlying protocol
but how does one see the service flow in all this?
We are having a scenario like below in mind
   _____                              _______                                       
______
  |SS    |    Air interfce link    | BS      |     Wired 802. interface     
| ASN  |
  |ROHC|<------------------>| WiMax|<------------------------->|ROHC
|<----------> Core Network
  |_____|                            |______|      Ethernet/GRE/etc.       
|_____|

Rakesh Mawa wrote:
> This message and/or attachment(s) contained here are confidential,
> proprietary to HUGHES SYSTIQUE and its customers. 

-- 
View this message in context: http://www.nabble.com/Placement-of-ROHC-in-Wimax-tf3770094.html#a10831943
Sent from the IETF - Rohc mailing list archive at Nabble.com.

---

From: Rakesh Mawa <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 May 2007 12:14:29 +0530

Hi Vish,

You are right that the .16 MAC layer would provide ROHC channel to the 
ROHC, the parameters of which are negotiated in the Service Flow messgaes 
(not initial network entry).16 MAC specifies that there is a one to one 
mapping between ROHC channel and a Service Flow, but the exact mechanism 
of this association is left as implementation detail. See section 5.2.7.2 
of the .16 cor2 standard.

regards
-Rakesh Mawa

05/28/2007 12:22 PM

To
[email-masked]
cc

Subject
Re: [rohc] Placement of ROHC in Wimax

Hi Rakesh,
layer during initial entry how does one identify a compressed data packet 
to
its inteded destination. If there are multiple connections from one 
BS(RAS)
possibility of having a standard "ROHC over Ethernet" or "ROHC over GRE". 
I
L2 layer protocol which could help us in identifying the underlying 
protocol

> Contents may be privileged or otherwise protected by law. The 
information
> is solely intended for the entity it is 
> addressed to. If you are not the intended recipient of this message, it 
is
> strictly prohibited to read, forward, 
> print, retain, copy or disseminate this message or any part of it. If 
you
> have received this e-mail in error, 

-- 
View this message in context: 
http://www.nabble.com/Placement-of-ROHC-in-Wimax-tf3770094.html#a10831943
Sent from the IETF - Rohc mailing list archive at Nabble.com.

---

From: Rakesh Mawa <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 May 2007 17:01:00 +0530

Dear All,

Please ignore the "Legal Disclaimer" from Hughes reproduced by mistake, in 
the mail history.

regards
-rakesh mawa

Rakesh Mawa <[email-masked]> 
05/29/2007 12:14 PM

To
[email-masked]
cc

Subject

Hi Vish, 

regards 
-Rakesh Mawa 

To
[email-masked] 
cc

Subject

Hi Rakesh,

> Sent from the IETF - Rohc mailing list archive at Nabble.com.

[legal disclaimer snipped]