Subject: Thanks! (Was: Re: [rohc] New WG chair for ROHC)

From: "Lars-Erik Jonsson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 1 Oct 2007 18:33:10 +0200

ROHCers,

In July 1999, me, Micke Degermark and Hans Hannu went to the Oslo IETF 
meeting and I presented our studies of CRTP behavior in typical wireless 
link conditions. There at the Oslo AVT WG meeting I also introduced the 
first version of the robust header compression scheme, ROCCO, which later on 
become what we today know as ROHC-RTP. At that meeting I met a man who 
expressed rather critical opinions about our ideas. His name was Carsten 
Bormann, and he later on became a key-player in the ROHC work, as a 
technical key-contributor, as WG chair (and in that regard my closest 
colleague in the IETF-world), and (most importantly) he also became a very 
good friend.

For me it has been a magnificent adventure to be part of the ROHC WG and 
several other related IETF activities during these 8-9 years. The initial 
attentional hype around ROHC was short and the size of our group of active 
members has never been overwhelming, but we have had a group of excellent 
minds who have been striving towards what we have believed in, and I agree 
with Carsten that ROHC indeed has been a success story. Our initial RFC's 
had flaws and were truly not even close to perfection, but we have been good 
at carefully eveluating all feedback received from implementers and 
incorporating all our findings into the standards.

After being part of the ROHC work from its initial embryo with ROCCO, 
through the RobHC BOF, and through the whole lifetime of the WG, I really 
wanted to bring this WG to closure. When I last year left Ericsson and moved 
on to face new challenges, I therefore decided to stay and serve as WG chair 
and intended to shepard both ROHCv2 and ROHCoIPsec all the way to RFC 
publication. However, as these work items have not progressed as fast as I 
had hoped, I have now reached a point where I feel that I have a too distant 
relationship to the ROHC WG activities to be the right person to bring the 
WG to closure in a proper way. I therefore asked Magnus to find someone who 
have both the technical merits, the engagement, and the time (sponsor 
support) to challenge this task, and I believe Carl is an excellent choice 
as being deeply invloved in the technology while still not being author of 
any of the documents under development. I wish Carl good luck with his new 
duties as WG chair, thanks for accepting this challenge, the chair hat is 
now yours!

Thanks to all of you who I have met during this journey, it has been an 
unforgettable experience. I will not leave the WG completely, as I will 
continue to follow the mail list and read the documents before RFC 
publication. ROHCv2 summarizes all our efforts and all our collective 
findings from these year, and I am really looking forward to the day it 
becomes an RFC, I assume there will be a ROHC party in Luleå then, right?

I wish all the best to those of you who are continuing with the ROHC effort, 
keep up the good work!

Cheers,
/L-E

----- Original Message ----- 
From: "Ghyslain Pelletier" <[email-masked]>
To: "Carsten Bormann" <[email-masked]>; "Magnus Westerlund" 
<[email-masked]>
Cc: <[email-masked]>
Sent: Sunday, September 30, 2007 11:42 AM
Subject: RE: [rohc] New WG chair for ROHC

I can only agree entirely with Carsten on all points!

Many thanks to Lars-Erik for his successful time chairing this working
group!

I think it is really great that Carl accepted to take over this role!

///Ghyslain

Carsten Bormann wrote:
> On Sep 28 2007, at 15:44, Magnus Westerlund wrote:
>
>> This is to announce that the ROHC WG now has a new chair in Carl
>> Knutsson ([email-masked]). Welcome and good luck to him in
>> his new role.
>
> A hearty welcome to Carl from a former co-chair!
>
>> Lars-Erik Jonsson is also stepping down at this point. I big great
>> THANK YOU to him for his long and productive service to the IETF. He
>> has been chair for this WG since 2002 and been part in the
>> publication of at least 25 RFCs.
>
> Indeed, it is hard to overestimate the role Lars-Erik has played in
> this WG.
> While the ROHC working group may not have the front pages of Computer
> World magazine, it has been (and is) a "quiet success story" (in the
> words of a former AD) and Lars-Erik has the most prominent share in
> that success.
>
> Gruesse, Carsten
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> Rohc mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/rohc

_______________________________________________
Rohc mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/rohc

_______________________________________________
Rohc mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/rohc