Subject: [Roll] Fwd: New Version Notification for draft-gnawali-roll-minrank-hysteresis-of-02

From: Omprakash Gnawali <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2010 14:18:53 -0500

Dear WG,

I just updated the draft to address JP's comment on allowing for leaf nodes.

- om_p

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: IETF I-D Submission Tool <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, Sep 21, 2010 at 2:17 PM
Subject: New Version Notification for
draft-gnawali-roll-minrank-hysteresis-of-02
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]

A new version of I-D, draft-gnawali-roll-minrank-hysteresis-of-02.txt
has been successfully submitted by Omprakash Gnawali and posted to the
IETF repository.

Filename:        draft-gnawali-roll-minrank-hysteresis-of
Revision:        02
Title:           The Minimum Rank Objective Function with Hysteresis
Creation_date:   2010-09-21
WG ID:           Independent Submission
Number_of_pages: 8

Abstract:
Hysteresis delays the effect of changes in link metric on parent
selection.  Such delay makes the topology stable despite jitters in
link metrics.  The Routing Protocol for Low Power and Lossy Networks
(RPL) allows the use of objective functions to construct routes that
optimize or constrain a routing metric on the paths.  This
specification describes the Minimum Rank Objective Function with
Hysteresis (MRHOF), an objective function that minimizes the node
rank in terms of a given metric, while using hysteresis to prevent
excessive rank churn.  The use of MRHOF with RPL results in nodes
selecting stable paths that minimize the given routing metric to the
roots of a Directed Acyclic Graph (DAG).

The IETF Secretariat.

---

From: Philip Levis <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2010 14:07:55 -0700

I'd like to poll the WG as to whether we should make MRHOF (minimum rank hysteresis objective function) a WG document. Om has just published a new version of the draft (-02) that incorporates comments from JP and others.

The motivation is that, going forward, we as a WG should have an OF that describes and standardizes current practice. A few reviewers have pointed out that, to be a full implementable, inter-operable standard, RPL needs a good objective function. MRHOF essentially just describes what most networks do today: minimizing rank based on a metric, with a bit of hysteresis to increase stability at a slight loss of efficiency. The hysteresis usually actually improves efficiency, as instabilities can themselves harm performance, for example due to Trickle resets.

Comments and feedback are welcome. Here's the URL:

http://www.ietf.org/id/draft-gnawali-roll-minrank-hysteresis-of-02.txt

Phil

---

From: JP Vasseur <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2010 11:15:36 +0200

Hi Phil,

If you do not mind, chairs poll for WG adoption. 
I gave private comments since I had issues with the previous version of the document (wrt to IETF specification rules, ROLL charter, ...). I did not get a chance to read the new revision.

Thanks for your understanding.

JP.

On Sep 21, 2010, at 11:07 PM, Philip Levis wrote:

> _______________________________________________
> Roll mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/roll

---

From: Philip Levis <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2010 09:01:25 -0500

> Thanks for your understanding.

Sure, sorry about that. I saw Mukul poll for the p2p draft so thought I would do so as well. For future reference, is this an official part of IETF process or just something you'd prefer (happy to go along)?

Phil

---

From: JP Vasseur <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2010 20:56:51 +0200

Hi Omprakash,

Thanks for the new revision addressing my comments.

All, 

Could you please let us know if you are in favor/opposed of adopting draft-gnawali-roll-minrank-hysteresis-of as a ROLL Working Group document ?

Thanks.

JP.