Subject: Protocol Action: Routing Policy Specification Language (RPSL) to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 1999 08:14:29 -0400

The IESG has approved the Internet-Draft 'Routing Policy Specification
Language (RPSL)' <draft-ietf-rps-rpsl-v2-03.txt> as a Proposed
Standard, obsoleting RFC2280. This document is the product of the
Routing Policy System Working Group.  The IESG contact persons are Bert
Wijnen and Randy Bush.

Technical Summary
 
   RPSL is a language syntax which allows a network operator to
    specify routing policies at various levels in the Internet
    hierarchy; for example at the Autonomous System (AS) level.  At
    the same time, policies can be specified with sufficient detail
    in RPSL so that low level router configurations can be generated
    from them.  RPSL is extensible; new routing protocols and new
    protocol features can be introduced at any time.

Working Group Summary

    Discussion on the technical details of this revision has been
    negligible; there seems to be consensus that the current text is
    an improvement over the previous version.

    The ongoing debate on whether the system described is too complex
    and overreaching to be useful was not deemed relevant to this
    recycling of the spec at Proposed status.

Protocol Quality

    Spec review was by Harald Alvestrand, with the changes in the new
    revision looked at by Randy Bush, previous and current Ops AD
    respectively.