Subject: Reminder: RPSL Transition

From: Gerald Andrew Winters <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 1999 16:53:49 -0400 (EDT)

A final reminder for users of the RADB database service:  at 12:00:00 a.m. 
EDT on November 1, 1999, the whois.radb.net and [email-masked] services
will default to the Routing Policy Specification Language (RPSL) database. 
This means that whois queries to whois.radb.net after November 1 will
return RPSL objects.

RIPE-181 queries will still be possible after November 1 via whois queries
to whois-ripe181.radb.net and email submissions to [email-masked]. 
In addition, between 11/1/99 and 1/1/00, RIPE-181 submissions will be
auto-converted and folded into the RPSL database.  Users need to be aware
of this, as corresponding RPSL entries will be overwritten with the
auto-converted RIPE-181 objects.  You will need to *RECONFIGURE* your
tools to explicitly query whois-ripe181.radb.net and send RIPE-181
submissions to auto-ripe181.radb.net. 

During the changeover, the whois.radb.net DNS entry will be changed to
point to the production RPSL database.  Because of DNS latency, there will
be a period of time when all resolvers have not received the new DNS entry
IP address. During this transition period, some users may want to manually
configure the IP address used by their query tools.  The IP addresses of
the machines will be: 

  whois.radb.net           198.108.0.18 (RPSL queries)
  whois-ripe181.radb.net   198.108.0.11 (RIPE-181 queries)

For further information about the transition to RPSL, see:
 
	http://www.radb.net/announce.html

Comments or questions about the transition are welcome; please send email
to [email-masked]. 

--Gerald Winters
  Merit IRRd Team