Subject: Re: [RPSEC] Re: Potential Requirements New Thread

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 13 Nov 2002 11:08:43 -0500 (EST)

>To restate a previous post - the best you might be able to come up
>with is "foo originated this route.  bar, who is adjacent to
>me propagated this route to me.  Is he allowed to?"

The definition of "allowed to" in BGP is based on bar having received
a route from someone (who was allowed to).  In OSPF, bar is allowed
to propagate any LSA.  In fact, bar is expected to propagate all LSA's.
In AODV and DSR, the answer is more like the answer for BGP - the
"allowed to" is couched in terms of bar having based the propagated
route on some valid inputs from its neighbors.

>If a box maliciously forwarded packets a different direction from
>what the IGP said, how could you tell from the routing protocol
>perspective?  I don't think you can.

DSR is one case where the forwarding and the routing protocol are
strongly linked.  The data traffic is supposed to carry a (valid)
source route it got from DSR.  Of course, that doesn't preclude a
router from disobeying the source route.  But that is one case where
the routing protocol and the data traffic forwarding path are intended to be
linked.

--Sandy
_______________________________________________
RPSEC mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/rpsec