Subject: [RPSEC] Threats Draft Issue 4: Section 3.1 Threat Sources

From: Russ White <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 13 Jul 2003 22:04:39 -0400 (Eastern Daylight Time)

We don't seem to have gotten through a concensus on the threat sources
portion of the threats draft, specifically in the seperation of
unauthorized and masquerading threat sources. So, what I seem to have from
the thread is:

Sandy: We shouldn't consider masquerading and unauthorized as different
Russ: Define the ideas, but combine them throughout the draft as one
  problem

Others? I'm not certain where we are on this topic.

:-)

Russ

__________________________________
[email-masked] CCIE <>< Grace Alone

_______________________________________________
RPSEC mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/rpsec

---

From: Russ White <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 13 Jul 2003 23:02:18 -0400 (Eastern Daylight Time)

My original thought on this was to define these two seperately, but to call
them one thing within the draft. For instance, in my notes for section 3, I
had originally:

Replace:

   This section develops a model that can be used to identify the
   threats that can affect routing protocols in general. The model
   examines the possible threats that routing protocols can be exposed
   to from unauthorized entities.

with:

The model developed in this section can be used to identify threats to any
routing protocol. It examines attacks which can be launched against routing
from subverted entities within the routing system, and from entities
outside the routing system. Both of these types of entities are called
unauthorized entities.

--

I think this might be a good compromise text to work from.

:-)

Russ