Subject: Re: [rrg] Next topic?

From: Pedro Andrés Aranda Gutiérrez <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 May 2011 07:48:55 +0200

> Date: Thu, 19 May 2011 18:15:03 -0400
> From: [email-masked]
> To: [email-masked]
> Cc: [email-masked]
> Subject: Re: [rrg] Next topic?
> Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="utf-8"
>
> Hi Lorand,
>
>
> Certainly, my proposal is to find out how urgent is the IPv4-address depletion issue.
> Maybe it is not urgent and NAT will do.

DISCLAIMER: all opinions in this email are mine and do not
necessarily reflect those of my employer

Hi Heiner, all,

I'm sorry to hear this "NAT will do". NAT does at home/SOHO
environments. NAT may do at the office/branch/company environment.
NAT may even do at the current low traffic profile mobile devices.
But NAT will *certainly* not do when installed in the network. The
problems:

1) I can open ports @ my home router, because I have all 65536 ports
under my control. But in a NATxyz environment, I will be restricted
and I will most probably not get the 'right' ports (i.e. 0-1023)
assigned.

2) Overlooking that, you are putting boxes into the network which are
concentrating traffic of a lot of people and they are single points
of failure in the sense that if one dies, it will most probably not
passed unnoticed by the users.

3) We have to think that the number of customers will grow and it is
certain that the traffic per user will _not_ diminish. Any NAT solution
means putting very specialise boxes in a sort of black hole. When
traffic takes up, we will need to throw in NAT after NAT after NAT.

As you see, neither users (and be it just the 'port opening' issue) nor
operators will be well served with a NAT solution.

Just my 2 cents,/PA
--
Pedro A. Aranda Gutiérrez       Telefónica I+D
Technology Specialist           Network Virtualisation
mailto: [email-masked]             C/Don Ramón de la Cruz,84
Tlf: +34-913 128 819            E-28006 Madrid

"Fragen sind nicht da, um beantwortet zu werden.
  Fragen sind da, um gestellt zu werden" Georg Kreisler
http://www.mendeley.com/profiles/pedro-a-aranda-gutierrez

Este mensaje se dirige exclusivamente a su destinatario. Puede consultar nuestra política de envío y recepción de correo electrónico en el enlace situado más abajo.
This message is intended exclusively for its addressee. We only send and receive email on the basis of the terms set out at.
http://www.tid.es/ES/PAGINAS/disclaimer.aspx