Subject: [rrg] For the kind consideration of the RRG IRTF working group

From: balaji venkat Venkataswami <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2012 21:58:52 +0530

Dear all.

We are a bunch of researchers from the IIT (indian Institute of Technology)
Madras (chennai) on the east coast of india. We are submitting research work
that has been done on the subject of greening the internet. We have
published the following documents (series of documents)  of how to reduce
the overall power consumption in the internet in an inter-AS and an intra-AS
scenario. We would like to get the comments from the members of this
esteemed group with regard to these documents.

We submit two drafts that have been made part of the rtgwg working group in
the ietf. These two drafts deal with inter-AS scenarios where a
collaborative approach among the Ases is sought to be achieved to reduce the
power consumption in the internet.

We are new to the IETF and the IRTF as well. So please let us know if we
have to re-submit these documents to the IRTF.

We would very much welcome your comments on these documents.

Thanks and regards,
Balaji venkat

The first document is as follows.

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts
directories.

Title           : Reducing Power Consumption using BGP
Author(s)       : Shankar Raman
                          Balaji Venkat Venkataswami
                          Gaurav Raina
Filename        : draft-mjsraman-rtgwg-inter-as-psp-03.txt
Pages           : 24
Date            : 2012-08-06

Abstract:
   In this paper, we propose a framework to reduce the aggregate power
   consumption of the Internet using a collaborative approach between
   Autonomous Systems (AS). We identify the low-power paths among the AS
   and then use Traffic Engineering (TE) techniques to route the packets
   along the paths. Such low-power paths can be identified by using the
   consumed-power-to-available-bandwidth (PWR) ratio as an additional
   constraint in the Constrained Shortest Path First (CSPF) algorithm.
   For re-routing the data traffic through these low-power paths, the
   Inter-AS Traffic Engineered Label Switched Path (TE-LSP) that spans
   multiple AS can be used. Extensions to the Border Gateway Protocol
   (BGP) can be used to disseminate the PWR ratio metric among the AS
   thereby creating a collaborative approach to reduce the power
   consumption. Since calculating the low-power paths can be
   computationally intensive, a graph-labeling heuristic is also
   proposed. This heuristic reduces the computational complexity but may
   provide a sub-optimal low-power path. The feasibility of our
   approaches is illustrated by applying our algorithm to a subset of
   the Internet. The techniques proposed in this paper for the Inter-AS
   power reduction require minimal modifications to the existing
   features of the Internet. The proposed techniques can be extended to
   other levels of Internet hierarchy, such as Intra-AS paths, through
   suitable modifications.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-mjsraman-rtgwg-inter-as-psp

There's also a htmlized version available at:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-mjsraman-rtgwg-inter-as-psp-03

A diff from the previous version is available at:
http://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-mjsraman-rtgwg-inter-as-psp-03

The second document is as follows.
A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts
directories.

Title           : Reducing Power Consumption using BGP path selection
Author(s)       : Shankar Raman
                          Balaji Venkat Venkataswami
                          Gaurav Raina
                          Vasan Srini
Filename        : draft-mjsraman-rtgwg-bgp-power-path-02.txt
Pages           : 19
Date            : 2012-08-06

Abstract:
   In this paper, we propose a framework to reduce the aggregate power
   consumption of the Internet using a collaborative approach between
   Autonomous Systems (AS). We identify the low-power paths among the AS
   and then use suitable modifications to the BGP path selection
   algorithm to route the packets along the paths. Such low-power paths
   can be identified by using the consumed-power-to-available-bandwidth
   (PWR) ratio as an additional parameter in the BGP Path Selection
   Algorithm. For re-routing the data traffic through these low-power
   paths, the power based best path is selected and advertised as per
   the modified algorithm proposed in this document. Extensions to the
   Border Gateway Protocol (BGP) can be used to disseminate the PWR
   ratio metric among the AS thereby creating a collaborative approach
   to reduce the power consumption. The feasibility of our approaches is
   illustrated by applying our algorithm to a subset of the Internet.
   The techniques proposed in this paper for the Inter-AS power
   reduction require minimal modifications to the existing features of
   the Internet. The proposed techniques can be extended to other levels
   of Internet hierarchy, such as Intra-AS paths, through suitable
   modifications.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-mjsraman-rtgwg-bgp-power-path

There's also a htmlized version available at:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-mjsraman-rtgwg-bgp-power-path-02

A diff from the previous version is available at:
http://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-mjsraman-rtgwg-bgp-power-path-02