Subject: [Rserpool] Comments on draft-ietf-rserpool-asap-04.txt

From: Thomas Dreibholz <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Aug 2002 12:37:29 +0200

Hi all,

some comments on draft-ietf-rserpool-asap-04.txt:

- - DEREGISTRATION_RESPONSE:
The "Pool Element Parameter" field must be optional, since the nameserver 
cannot generate this field if the pool element identified by Pool Handle 
Parameter and PE Identifier Parameter in a DEREGISTRATION message is not 
existing in the namespace.
There should also be an error code (e.g. 7) for "Pool Element not found".

- - There must be an error message type for the case of an unknown message type 
is received. For example, a client sends a message type 0xab to the 
nameserver. This type is unknown, therefore an error should be returned. 
Suggestion:
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
++++ Type = 0xff | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | Message Length +++++
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
++++ Error Parameter                                              +++++
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

- - NAME_RESOLUTION_RESPONSE, ENDPOINT_KEEP_ALIVE_ACK, COOKIE_ECHO, 
SERVER_HUNT_RESPONSE must contain an optional "Operational Error" parameter.

- - There should be the pool policies "Random" and "Weighted Random":
Random:
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
++++ Param Type = 0x6             | Length = 8                    +++++
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
++++ Policy Type = 0x5 | Weight                                   +++++
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Weighted Random:
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
++++ Param Type = 0x6             | Length = 8                    +++++
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
++++ Policy Type = 0x6 | Weight                                   +++++
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

The format of "Weight" should be the same as for weighted round robin. To be 
defined.

- - Section 3.6.4:
WRR uses Weight, not Load.

- - Error codes:
There should be a code for "Out of memory", e.g. 8.

- - SERVER_HUNT_RESPONSE should contain at least one Server Information 
Parameter. This is useful for 2 reasons:
1. The nameserver may use a port different from the well-known nameserver 
port.
2. The nameserver may support SCTP and TCP or SCTP only; some pool users may 
only support TCP and therefore are only interested in TCP-capable nameservers.

- - SERVER_HUNT should have a parameter stating the required transport protocol 
of the sender (SCTP or TCP, SCTP only, TCP only). It does not make sense for 
SCTP-only nameservers to reply to pool users requesting TCP-only.

- - A well-known port number for the nameserver has to be obtained.

Best regards
- -- 
=======================================================================
 Dipl.-Inform. Thomas Dreibholz

 University of Essen,                            Room ES210
 Inst. for Experimental Mathematics              Ellernstraße 29
 Computer Networking Technology Group            D-45326 Essen/Germany
- -----------------------------------------------------------------------
 E-Mail:     [email-masked]
 Homepage:   http://www.exp-math.uni-essen.de/~dreibh
=======================================================================

- -----BEGIN PGP PUBLIC KEY BLOCK-----
Version: GnuPG v1.0.6 (GNU/Linux)
Comment: Weitere Infos: siehe http://www.gnupg.org

=g36Q
- -----END PGP PUBLIC KEY BLOCK-----

_______________________________________________
rserpool mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/rserpool