Subject: [Rserpool] Draft Minutes for Rserpool - IETF 65

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 6 Apr 2006 10:09:47 -0500

Any comments before I post these to the proceedings?  The slides are
already posted.

Draft Minutes for Rserpool - IETF 65

Introduction:
Lyndon gave an introductory status report for the group.  The group
still has outstanding comments from GenArts review on the architecture,
threats and comparison documents, and these still need to be resolved,
esp. the architecture and security comments.

We also need to proceed faster to get the protocol documents into last
call.  A hum from the participants established that most participants
feel the protocol specifications are in good shape for last call,
although later Randy noted that he had received some comments from
implementers that could be added to further clarify some text.

Reliability for IPFix:
draft-bclaise-ipfix-reliability-01.txt
Peter Lei

Peter Lei gave a presentation on the use of Rserpool for IPfix.  There
is strong interest in the IPfix WG for using Rserpool to address
reliability issues, especially for billing records.  RFC 3917 -
Requirements for IP Flow Information Export (IPFix) describe reliability
requirements that are necessary for billing apps.  This internet-draft
shows how the Rserpool architecture fits well with the IPFix device(s)
and collectors to satisfy the reliability requirements.  Some issues
have been raised by the IPFix group that we need to address.  

One is that they need additional Rserpool servicing policies.  These
include allowing them to specify a favored server, rather than round
robin, for example.  The policy would be, use the "main server" if it is
available, otherwise any backup server is fine.  A second policy that is
of interest to them is if the "main server" comes back up after a
service interruption, they want to go back to using the "main server"
instead of the secondary ones.  We need to look into adding these
policies to Rserpool.  Rserpool was designed to allow new policies to be
added to the base set.  This can be added to the policy internet draft
draft-ietf-rserpool-policies-02.txt and will not impact advancing the
main protocol docs.

A second issue involves knowing the last billing record that was
processed by the IPFix application before a server fails.  We discussed
handling this thru the Rserpool cookie mechanism.

We will work further on these issues with the IPFix WG on these two
issues and address them in the next draft.  

DTLS/SCTP:
Michael Tuexen
draft-tuexen-dtls-for-SCTP-00.txt

Michael Tuexen presented some related security work for SCTP, involving
the adoption of DTLS for SCTP to make implementation simpler and more
efficient, and to allow security to work with SCTP extensions such as
PR-SCTP.  This draft will be implemented in OpenSSL.

Moving the group ahead:
We had a discussion with the AD and determined the following plan.  The
editors will review and revise all the documents (especially the
architecture doc) that had pending IESG comments. Fred Baker would do a
review for the WG of the complete set. We also need to last call the
main protocol documents, ASAP, ENRP and Common parameters. If these
reviews finds them ready then the set then goes back to the IESG. The
schedule is for this to happen before IETF-66. 

Maureen emphasized the need to progress the protocol specs and
reevaluate the architecture draft and finish off the work of the group.

-- Maureen
Maureen Stillman
Nokia Enterprise Solutions
Acting Director SMC Systems Architecture

_______________________________________________
rserpool mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/rserpool