Subject: A question related to RSVP

From: "Mike Badil" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 23 Apr 2000 01:33:12 EDT

Hi

I just started to read RSVP. There is a point which I am not really clear, 
if any of you clarify the question I will be really appritiated.

Question is:

RSVP makes the reservation in advance, in other word, before the packets 
start to send, it specified the path which the packets will be traversed. 
Router allocate resources for the request.

Since in RSVP there is no virtual circuit etc. IP packets travels in 
conventional way. In IP, each packets travels independently, in each node 
the packets make the decision again. If the packets travels in conventional 
IP routing way, the path can be different than the specified path because 
decision can be changed because of the change in routing table.

My question is how does RSVP  make all the packet to follow pre-specified 
one?, How does the routers takes care of this situation? because in 
conventional IP routing packets can choose the next hop in dependent than 
previous and next packets.

If someone answer I will be really appritiated.

Thanks in advance.

________________________________________________________________________
Get Your Private, Free E-mail from MSN Hotmail at http://www.hotmail.com

---

From: "S.Arul Vasantha Raj" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2000 08:57:08 +0530

Hi Mike,

You are right. RSVP wont establish reservation like VC. The reservation 
itself is dynamic as conventional IP routing.

It reserves resource along the data flow path, based on the decision made 
by routing protocol in every hop. (Unicast and Multicast). It reestablishes 
the reservation to next hop when a route change occurs. Also the hop to hop 
reservation that too in soft state makes it possible to have a reservation 
in place before it handles data.

Here you have to note, Rsvp hop to hop reservation follows the routing 
protocols decision. But not the reverse.
________________________________________________________________________  
________________________________________
S.Arul Vasantha Raj.
FSPL,
280, Anna Salai, Nandanam,
Chennai, India - 600035.
Mail: 	[email-masked],
	[email-masked]

-----Original Message-----
From:	Mike Badil [SMTP:[email-masked]]
Sent:	Sunday, April 23, 2000 11:03 AM
To:	[email-masked]
Subject:	A question related to RSVP

Hi

Question is:

Thanks in advance.