Subject: Re: compiling RSVP on linux (2.2.x, Mandrake 6.x/7.x)

From: Bora Akyol <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2000 20:10:00 -0800

In a wireless environment, what kind of QoS are you planning on utilizing. 
Reserved bandwidth, or BER, or CIR type.

Do you think that RSVP is a good match for a wireless environment when the 
channel varies rapidly?
Do you think that RSVP will provide the necessary API so that you can use 
time-varying error-correcting codes based on BER?

How are you planning on differentiation congestion loss from link layer 
corruption?

I guess what I am trying to say is that I don't think RSVP meets the 
requirements for dynamic wireless channels, you may be much better of 
proxying RSVP requests via an agent architecture
that sits at the two end of the wireless connection.

Also you may want to bring this up in the PILC group.

Bora

At 05:55 PM 3/28/00 +0200, Simon Oosthoek (EMN) wrote:
>Hi There,
>
>I've just started working with RSVP (or rather, attempted to get started).
>We are going to use RSVP in our lab for QoS on Wireless IP networks and 
>possibly to interact with DiffServ based QoS.
>
>So far I've had little success compiling the available RSVP sources on 
>recent versions of linux (we use Mandrake 6.x or 7.x at the moment)
>
>As a desperate measure, I tried an old Red Hat 5.2 distro and suddenly I 
>could compile rsvpd on Linux.
>Starting from there (a certainty that it did compile on Linux) I tried 
>again to compile rsvp (rel4.2a3 btw, I think it's Phil Wang's version) on 
>Mandrake 6.1. With some help of a colleague, I was able to find the 
>problem in the source (or at least one of the problems) and now I can 
>compile rsvpd there as well.
>
>Now I'm wondering why nobody else had trouble with this before, or is 
>everyone using ancient versions of Linux?
>
>Also, the problem in the code was really silly and not too difficult to 
>fix (I mean, I could do it and I have no experience programming in C). It 
>involved changing the include of huge_val.h to math.h and renaming all 
>occurances of log() to printlog(). Oh and some other things involving a 
>certain "system.h" which should not be included, because it redefines 
>existing system calls or something.
>
>I'm not there yet, the apitools don't compile yet (and anything after 
>that, I don't know)
>
>I would love to exchange information/ideas and code with others who are 
>working with RSVP on Linux or other platforms with these problems...
>
>Cheers
>
>Simon
>
>--
>  Phone: +31 53 450 5542 (fax: ~5550)
>E-mail: [email-masked]