Subject: RSVP support for dynamic reservation

From: Gaitonde Anandprasanna <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2000 19:16:42 +0530 (IST)

Can u suggest any references or material which discusses the issue of
dynamic bandwidth reservation in RSVP i.e. changing the already reserved
bandwidth when the call session is in  progress.

                     _____________________________                  
                   _ |ANANDPRASANNA GAITONDE     | _ 
                  / )|COMP. SCIENCE & AUTOMATION |( \
                 / / |D-7,IISc HOSTEL            | \ \
                / /  |INDIAN INSTITUTE OF SCIENCE|  \ \
              _( (_  |BANGALORE-560012.          |  _) )_
              (((\ \>|_/->___________________<-\_|</ /)))
              (\\\\ \_/ /LAB Ph.(080)3092906  \ \_/ ////)
               \       /HOSTEL Ph.-            \       /  
                \    _/     (080)3092452        \_    /     
                /   /-----------------------------\   \                  
               /  Email Id-                            \ 
              /      [email-masked]         \
	     ---------------------------------------------
            -----------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
		
*************************************************************************  
| | | | __ ___   _____     __ _    _ __ (_) ___ ___     __| | __ _ _   _
| |_| |/ _` \ \ / / _ \   / _` |  | '_ \| |/ __/ _ \   / _` |/ _` | | | |
|  _  | (_| |\ V /  __/  | (_| |  | | | | | (_|  __/  | (_| | (_| | |_| |
|_| |_|\__,_| \_/ \___|   \__,_|  |_| |_|_|\___\___|   \__,_|\__,_|\__, |
*************************************************************************

---

From: Bob Braden <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2000 16:42:17 GMT

*> 
  *> 
  *>   Can u suggest any references or material which discusses the issue of
  *> dynamic bandwidth reservation in RSVP i.e. changing the already reserved
  *> bandwidth when the call session is in  progress.
  *> 
  *> 

Hmmm.  I could swear that the RSVP spec said it clearly up front, but
that wording seems to have disappeared from the final RFC 2205.  I
guess that dynamic adaptation to changing reservation parameters is so
fundamental a property of RSVP that the RSVP WG members must assume it
goes without saying ;-).

The best we can point to is a paragraph buried in section 2.3
of RFC 2205:

	The state maintained by RSVP is dynamic; to change the set of
	senders Si or to change any QoS request, a host simply starts
	sending revised Path and/or Resv messages.  The result will
	be an appropriate adjustment in the RSVP state in all nodes
	along the path; unused state will time out if it is not
	explicitly torn down.

Bob Braden

---

From: "Yoram Bernet" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2000 15:16:39 -0700

This should just work. I expect it's in RFC2205. From an end system
perspective, we allow an application to change its requested bandwidth
(or any other flowsepc characteristics) at any time. As a result, we
change the contents of the PATH or RESV messages sent and expect the
network to either accommodate or reject the modified requests...

Yoram

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Gaitonde Anandprasanna [mailto:[email-masked]]
> Sent: Monday, June 19, 2000 6:47 AM
> To: [email-masked]
> Subject: RSVP support for dynamic reservation
> 
> 
>