Subject: RSVP protocol

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2000 20:39:10 EDT

Hello,

I have a doubt regarding the way RSVP protocol operates.

The way it is stated in RFC 2205 is that I repeat here which is,

RSVP establishes "soft" state; that is, RSVP sends periodic refresh messages 
to maintain the state along the reserved path(s). In the absence of refresh 
messages, the state automatically times out and is deleted.

My understanding of the above is that for each path refresh message, there is 
a refresh resv from the destination node and in the absence of a resv refresh 
coming from the destination node, there will be a time out.

Pl. correct if my understanding is incorrect.

Thanks
RamMadhusudhan

---

From: Gaitonde Anandprasanna <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2000 14:26:25 +0530 (IST)

Well not really,

The refresh messages of PATH and RESV are generated independently, once
the corresponding PATH and RESV state is installed in the devices.

   Basically , U will generate refresh messages for both these states
independently and both the PATH and RESV state inside the devices will
aprropriately get refreshed. 

   When a node recieves a refresh PATH message , it will not
cause the generation of the corresponding RESV refresh message, but they
will be generated based on therir refresh timers.

ENJOY

PRAS

                     _____________________________                  
                   _ |ANANDPRASANNA GAITONDE     | _ 
                  / )|COMP. SCIENCE & AUTOMATION |( \
                 / / |D-7,IISc HOSTEL            | \ \
                / /  |INDIAN INSTITUTE OF SCIENCE|  \ \
              _( (_  |BANGALORE-560012.          |  _) )_
              (((\ \>|_/->___________________<-\_|</ /)))
              (\\\\ \_/ /LAB Ph.(080)3092906  \ \_/ ////)
               \       /HOSTEL Ph.-            \       /  
                \    _/     (080)3092452        \_    /     
                /   /-----------------------------\   \                  
               /  Email Id-                            \ 
              /      [email-masked]         \
	     ---------------------------------------------
            -----------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
		
*************************************************************************  
| | | | __ ___   _____     __ _    _ __ (_) ___ ___     __| | __ _ _   _
| |_| |/ _` \ \ / / _ \   / _` |  | '_ \| |/ __/ _ \   / _` |/ _` | | | |
|  _  | (_| |\ V /  __/  | (_| |  | | | | | (_|  __/  | (_| | (_| | |_| |
|_| |_|\__,_| \_/ \___|   \__,_|  |_| |_|_|\___\___|   \__,_|\__,_|\__, |
*************************************************************************