Subject: Re: RSVP protocol

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2000 20:37:57 EDT

Well, I have 2 different answers. My worry is not the refresh reduction but 
"Is the refresh on the egress side is done for every path message or for a 
timeout which is maintained separately, as Prasanna says.

Can the authors confirm this, since the RFC is not very clear at least for me.

Thanks
RamMadhu

---

From: Steven Berson <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2000 17:53:14 -0700 (PDT)

> Can the authors confirm this, since the RFC is not very clear at least for me.

Your question (repeated below) is not very well stated, but RFC 2205
is pretty clear on this.  State (path or reservation) is refreshed
either when new state arrives or when an interval timer expires.  Note
also that state times out if it is not refreshed over several time
intervals.

Steve

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2000 20:39:10 EDT
Subject: RSVP protocol 
To: [email-masked]

Hello,

I have a doubt regarding the way RSVP protocol operates.

The way it is stated in RFC 2205 is that I repeat here which is,

RSVP establishes "soft" state; that is, RSVP sends periodic refresh messages 
to maintain the state along the reserved path(s). In the absence of refresh 
messages, the state automatically times out and is deleted.

My understanding of the above is that for each path refresh message, there is 
a refresh resv from the destination node and in the absence of a resv refresh 
coming from the destination node, there will be a time out.

Pl. correct if my understanding is incorrect.

Thanks
RamMadhusudhan