Subject: RSVP Session and Media Stream

From: Dusan Sarvan <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2000 19:42:28 +0100

Hi all,

I have a question regarding RSVP Session
on the routher, and how the link is established
between RSVP session and media stream which
belongs to that session.

To clarify my question, I will take practical example:
Sending and receiving end devices are telephone GWs
with analog phones connected to them. GWs are connected
with RSVP capable routers.

According to the RFC 2205, RSVP session is defined by the
following parameters contained in the SESSION object, which
is stored on the router:
- DestAddress (Receiving GW IP address)
- ProtocolID (46 if RSVP is used as a raw IP packet)
- DstPort - Port number on the GW to identify the phone.

Media stream - RTP voice packets encapsulated into
UDP packet.

The question is: How does router identify that established
RSVP session belongs to the appropriate media stream?
It would be normal for example that voice IP packets contain
the same indentifiers specified with RSVP session above.

Destination IP adress of the receiving GW in the voice IP packet
is not enough since I have to specify the port number on the
receiving GW as well.
Where is possible to specify this parametar (DstPort) in the
voice IP packet?

Thank you very much for your help in advance.

Sincerely,

Dusan Sarvan.

---

From: Bob Braden <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2000 21:26:31 GMT

RSVP V1 assumes that distinct flows with distinct characteristics
will be have different UDP/TCP port pairs.

Bob Braden