Subject: rsvp resv merge

From: "Suman S K" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 6 Jun 2001 20:05:57 +0530

Hi,
Please consider the following scenario of RSVP reservation merge.

         6               6                |----------6 Mbps
[A]----------[B]-------------[C]--------|
                                            |-----------4Mbps

If the router C now receives new resv message of 9 Mbps. In order to avoid
killer reservation problem, what mechanism shall be followed ? I have some
doubt as mentioned.

I mean to say that whether the existing QoS shall be replaced with new resv
request of 9 Mbps i.e. set the packet classifier and packet scheduler with
the new value. Then forward the resv message upstream.

If resv message fails, then  revert back to previous QoS. If no reservation
error message comes, then it will be considered that the resv is successful.
Even the resv Error message might have lost and for any new resv req at
router C (suppose 10 Mbps) admission control fails at node A,
            then what will be value to revert back. How the router C will
know whether to revert back to 6Mbps or 9 Mbps.
Is there any time value to wait for resv error message ?

Please excuse for inconvinience. I am very new to rsvp.

Thanks in advance With regards
Suman