Subject: running NeTraMet in a PC

From: "Wang, Hai" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 6 Feb 2001 09:53:10 -0000

Hello everybody,
       I tried to run NeTraMet in a PC running winNT4.0, I followed the
readme for the instruction, but I couldn't proceed it because I couldn't get
several procedures done written in the Readme file:
      
  Step 4

   Edit the pd.bat file so that it is correct for the ethernet
   card(s) you are using.  The DRIVERS directory contains packet
   drivers for NE2000, SMC_WD and 3C509 cards; these have been
   modified so as to support NeTraMet's 'high-performance packet
   driver' option.  If you are using any other kind of ethernet
   card you'll have to copy a packet driver for it into this
   directory.

Questions:
I am using Ethernet Card 3c900-combo, I don't know how to edit pad.bat to
reflect the card because I don't know the meaning of the parameters
following "\drivers\3c900-combo".

Step 5 :

I am using 32-bit NeTraMet, but I couldn't find the file "EMM386.EXE" from
my PC' WINDOWS.

If anyone of you has some ideas how to solve the problem, please reply to
me, I appreciate it.

Thank you in advance!

Hai Wang

PS: I am wondering whether there is any other impelemtations besides
NetRaMet?

Accuris Limited,
East Point Bussiness Park,    Direct: +353 1 8875582
Dublin 3,                                Fax   : +353 1 8875100
Ireland

---

From: Nevil Brownlee <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 7 Feb 2001 14:33:38 +1300 (New Zealand Daylight Time)

> several procedures done written in the Readme file:

You've been trying to use the DOS version of NeTraMet on a Windows PC,
which is why you're puzzled by references to 'packet drivers.'

Try the Windows version, which you'll find as MSW_NTM44b6.zip in
the beta-versions directory of the NeTraMet distribution sites.

> PS: I am wondering whether there is any other impelemtations besides

I presume you mean 'implementations of RTFM?'  IBM research did one 
for AIX, but never issued a public release.  I'd be delighted to hear 
of any others ...

Cheers, Nevil

+---------------------------------------------------------------------+
| Nevil Brownlee                     Director, Technology Development |
| Phone: +64 9 373 7599 x8941        ITSS, The University of Auckland |
|   FAX: +64 9 373 7021      Private Bag 92019, Auckland, New Zealand |
+---------------------------------------------------------------------P