Subject: Re: WG name: "IPFX"?, etc. (was "Re: Standard Flows: Next Move")

From: Simon Leinen <[email-masked]>
Date: 28 Jun 2001 21:14:10 +0200

[sorry for the late followup]
>>>>> "dp" == Dave Plonka <[email-masked]> writes:
> On Sun, Apr 15, 2001 at 01:26:29AM -0700, Nevil Brownlee wrote:
>> Collection of TCP or UDP microflows that 

> What prior work defines "microflows"?  (For the moment I'm presuming
> for TCP that that would be a fragment of a stream.)

I first heard about it in the context of diffserv, and RFC 2474
(Definition of the Differentiated Services Field (DS Field) in the
IPv4 and IPv6 Headers) includes a short and sweet definition:

   Microflow: a single instance of an application-to-application flow
   of packets which is identified by source address, destination
   address, protocol id, and source port, destination port (where
   applicable).
-- 
Simon.

---

From: Eric Brunner <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2001 20:18:27 -0400

[ditto]
>    address, protocol id, and source port, destination port (where

This definition includes the http state management mechanism (cookies), a
point I brought up at the IRTF AAAArch meeting in Pittsburg, semi-privately.

Eric