Subject: Monitoring and reporting network usage - dropped packets

From: Sean Kelly <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2001 17:00:29 +0100

Hi all,

	Thanks again to all those who sent advice and comments regarding my
last post.  They are greatly appreciated :)

	Something that was questioned in the last conversation was whether
any packets were being dropped.  Some people (Peter Van Epp was at least one
of them) mentioned that 'tcpdump' may report dropping packets when the
kernel will not.

	After letting 'tcpdump' run for just over a minute I get:

		36510 packets received by filter
		35519 packets dropped by kernel

so does this mean that I'm losing about 97% of packets?  I ran 'tcpdump' at
the same time my monitoring software was running - does this influence the
dropping of packets?

	Thanks in advance,

--
Sean Kelly <[email-masked]>

*************************************************************
This email message has been scanned by MIMEsweeper for the 
presence of computer viruses by www.viruscleaningcentre.co.uk 
Hosted by the North East Datacentre www.ne-datacentre.co.uk
*************************************************************