Subject: Problems with IPv6

From: David Martinez Castellanos <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Dec 2001 13:29:26 +0100

Hello everybody, 

I'm dealing with IPv6 and I cannot manage to make NeTraMet work. The problem
it says is that the NeMac cannot open the snmp port.

Can someone helpme?. I forget something?.

Thank You for all

David Martinez

---

From: Nevil Brownlee <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Dec 2001 08:00:06 -0800 (PST)

Hello David:

The usual reason for messages like that is that there's already
an SNMP agent running, which is using port 161.

You can ask NeTraMet and NeMaC to use a different port using
the -m option on both their command lines, e.g.
  ./NeTraMet -m 10161 -i eth0 -w write-com
  ./NeMaC -m 10161 -r test.rules -F test.fdf localhost write-com test

I've had very few reports from IPv6 users, do please let me know
how you get on - I'm keen to fix any v6 problems if/as you find
them!

Cheers, Nevil

PS:  I trust you're using the latest beta, i.e.
     beta-versions/NeTraMet44b11.tar.gz ?

PPS: Has anyone tested NetFlowMet with the 44b11 release, please?

-------------------------------------------------------------
   Nevil Brownlee                     Internet Researcher
   Phone: (858) 534 8338                 CAIDA, San Diego