Subject: WG Last Call: draft-ietf-rtgwg-igp-shortcut-00.txt

From: Alex Zinin <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2004 16:19:35 -0700

Folks-

 This is to start a 2-week WG Last Call for draft-ietf-rtgwg-igp-shortcut-00.txt.
 The document target status is Informational. The Last Call ends on May 3rd, 2004.
 Please send your comments to [email-masked].

 The document is available from the WG web-page or at the following URL:

   http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-rtgwg-igp-shortcut-00.txt

 The Abstract from the document is included below:

   This document describes how conventional hop-by-hop link-state
   routing protocols interact with new Traffic Engineering capabilities
   to create IGP shortcuts.  In particular this document describes how
   Dijkstra's SPF algorithm should be adapted so that link-state IGPs
   will calculate IP routes to forward traffic over tunnels that are
   set up by Traffic Engineering.

-- 
Alex Zinin

_______________________________________________
Rtgwg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/rtgwg

---

From: "Joel M. Halpern" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2004 12:00:47 -0400

I do not believe this document is ready for publication as an Informational 
RFC.

As I have said to the author's directly, there are a number of places where 
improvements in clarity in this document are needed.  Examples include 
clarifying the intended scope (implicit in saying that it is the reach of 
the SPF, but it should be explicit) clarifying that the "metrics" are 
internal and are relative to a model of the internal path processing logic, 
and clarifications on the technical requirements needed to preserve loop 
freedom.

In fact, given that the IETF focus is on interoperability and (for routing) 
loop prevention, I would think taht significantly more attention should go 
into explaining what the conditions are that any technique of this sort 
must meet in order to achieve loop avoidance, and then a description of the 
particular technique of interest to the authors.

Yours,
Joel M. Halpern

---

From: Alex Zinin <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2004 13:11:47 -0700

Joel,

  Thanks for reviewing the document!

  The draft is a WG item now. In the spirit of constructive cooperation, would
  you be able to come up with specific text changes that, in your opinion, would
  improve the document?

-- 
Alex
http://www.psg.com/~zinin/