Subject: Comments on draft-atlas-ip-local-protect-00.txt

From: Alex Zinin <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2004 16:57:52 -0700

Folks-

 Heads-up first: we're still awaiting a formal IPR statement from Avici related
 to this draft. According to the authors, the statement has been submitted to
 the secretariat, however, it is not yet available at the IETF web-site.

 At the RTG Area meeting in Seoul we agreed to take the discussion on this draft
 to RTGWG. If folks feel like sending comments on the draft here before the
 statement shows up, please do so, however, I will not start a formal call
 soliciting feedback on the draft as a candidate for a WG item until the IPR
 statement is available.

 One high-level comment from me at this time, though.

 One can identify two mechanisms in the draft: loop-free next-hops (aka feasible
 next-hops in prior art), and U-turns. While the former is quite well and widely
 understood and requires no modifications to the routing protocols machinery
 (except for route calculation, of course), moderate modifications to the
 forwarding logic, and is backwards-compatible with the installed base, the
 latter changes the forwarding operation substantially, and requires extensions
 to routing protocols to ensure loop-free operation with regular routers.

 I believe we have a reasonable understanding of the feasible next-hops
 mechanism to produce an IETF standard for this. I'm getting different messages
 regarding U-turns. On the one hand we should be careful about changing the
 forwarding behavior the way U-turns do, on the other I am hearing from the SPs
 that they need U-turns to get sufficient topology coverage and that the IETF
 should work on this (hopefully we will hear from them on the list).

 Provided that there's enough interest in this topic in general (see other
 thread on WG charter extension) and that folks are interested in U-turns, a
 possible approach we could take is to split this work, put the spec for the
 feasible next-hops approach on the STD tracks, and publish the U-turns
 mechanisms as Experimental.

-- 
Alex
http://www.psg.com/~zinin/

_______________________________________________
Rtgwg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/rtgwg