Subject: RFC 5286 on Basic Specification for IP Fast Reroute: Loop-Free Alternates

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2008 10:38:56 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 5286

        Title:      Basic Specification for IP Fast 
                    Reroute: Loop-Free Alternates 
        Author:     A. Atlas, Ed.,
                    A. Zinin, Ed.
        Status:     Standards Track
        Date:       September 2008
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      31
        Characters: 71027
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-rtgwg-ipfrr-spec-base-12.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc5286.txt

This document describes the use of loop-free alternates to provide
local protection for unicast traffic in pure IP and MPLS/LDP networks
in the event of a single failure, whether link, node, or shared risk
link group (SRLG).  The goal of this technology is to reduce the
packet loss that happens while routers converge after a topology
change due to a failure.  Rapid failure repair is achieved through
use of precalculated backup next-hops that are loop-free and safe to
use until the distributed network convergence process completes.
This simple approach does not require any support from other routers.
The extent to which this goal can be met by this specification is
dependent on the topology of the network.  [STANDARDS TRACK]

This document is a product of the Routing Area Working Group Working Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard Protocol.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet standards track
protocol for the Internet community,and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the Internet
Official Protocol Standards (STD 1) for the standardization state and
status of this protocol.  Distribution of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  http://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfcsearch.html.
For downloading RFCs, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html.

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
USC/Information Sciences Institute

_______________________________________________
rtgwg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/rtgwg