Subject: Fwd: New Version Notification for draft-bashandy-bgp-edge-node-frr-01.txt

From: Ahmed Bashandy <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 30 Oct 2011 19:11:39 -0700

This is a draft that proposes a mechanism by which traffic can be
re-routed to a pre-calculated repair egress PE if the primary egress PE
becomes disconnected from the core (e.g. router crash) in a BGP free
core without waiting for IGP or BGP to re-converge. The draft does not
require any special routers to handle the traffic re-route and does not
require core routers to have knowledge about BGP routes

The new version only contains editorial modifications

I only got one comment from Rob Shakir. His primary concern is that the
draft requires allocating multiple prefixes to each PE to be used as BGP
Next-hops. This may be a problem for deployments with constrained
address space, such as  deployments that do not use private addresses as
BGP next-hops in BGP_free cores
We are working to address Rob's concern

All comments are most welcomed

Ahmed

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: 	New Version Notification for
draft-bashandy-bgp-edge-node-frr-01.txt
Date: 	Fri, 28 Oct 2011 10:50:31 -0700
From: 	<[email-masked]>
To: 	Ahmed Bashandy (bashandy) <[email-masked]>
CC: 	Ahmed Bashandy (bashandy) <[email-masked]>

A new version of I-D, draft-bashandy-bgp-edge-node-frr-01.txt has been
successfully submitted by Ahmed Bashandy and posted to the IETF repository.

Filename:        draft-bashandy-bgp-edge-node-frr
Revision:        01
Title:           Scalable BGP FRR Protection against Edge Node Failure
Creation date:   2011-10-26
WG ID:           Individual Submission
Number of pages: 17

Abstract:
Consider a BGP free core scenario. Suppose the edge BGP speakers PE1,
PE2,..., PEn know about a prefix P/p via the external routers CE1,
CE2,..., CEm.  If the edge router PEi crashes or becomes totally
disconnected from the core, it desirable for a penultimate hop route
&quot;P&quot; carrying traffic to the failed edge router PEi to immediately
restore traffic by re-tunneling packets originally tunneled to PEi
and destined to the prefix P/p to one of the other edge routers that
advertised P/p, say PEj, until BGP re-converges. In doing so, it is
highly desirable to keep the core BGP-free while not imposing
restrictions on external connectivity. Thus (1) a core router should
not be required to learn any BGP prefix, (2) the size of the
forwarding and routing tables in the core routers should be
independent of the number of BGP prefixes,(3) there should be no
special router (or group of routers) that handles restoring traffic,
and (4) there should be no restrictions on what edge routers
advertise what prefixes. For labeled prefixes, (5) the penultimate
hop router must swap the label advertised by the failed edge router
PEi for the prefix P/p with the label advertised for the same prefix
by the edge router PEj before re-tunneling the packet to PEj

The IETF Secretariat