Subject: Last Call: <draft-ietf-rtgwg-ordered-fib-08.txt> (Framework for Loop-free convergence using oFIB) to Informational RFC

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2013 10:47:15 -0800

The IESG has received a request from the Routing Area Working Group WG
(rtgwg) to consider the following document:
- 'Framework for Loop-free convergence using oFIB'
  <draft-ietf-rtgwg-ordered-fib-08.txt> as Informational RFC

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits
final comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
[email-masked] mailing lists by 2013-01-31. Exceptionally, comments may be
sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please retain the
beginning of the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

Abstract

   This document describes the framework of a mechanism for use in
   conjunction with link state routing protocols which prevents the
   transient loops which would otherwise occur during topology changes.
   It does this by correctly sequencing the forwarding information base
   (FIB) updates on the routers.

   This mechanism can be used in the case of non-urgent link or node
   shutdowns and restarts or link metric changes.  It can also be used
   in conjunction with a fast re-route mechanism which converts a sudden
   link or node failure into a non-urgent topology change.  This is
   possible where a complete repair path is provided for all affected
   destinations.

   After a non-urgent topology change, each router computes a rank that
   defines the time at which it can safely update its FIB.  A method for
   accelerating this loop-free convergence process by the use of
   completion messages is also described.

   The technology described in this document has been subject to
   extensive simulation using real network topologies and costs, and
   pathological convergence behaviour.  However mechanism described in
   this document are purely illustrative of the general approach and do
   not constitute a protocol specification.  The document represents a
   snapshot of the work of the Routing Area Working Group at the time of
   publication and is published as a document of record.  Further work
   is needed before implementation or deployment.

The file can be obtained via
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-rtgwg-ordered-fib/

IESG discussion can be tracked via
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-rtgwg-ordered-fib/ballot/

The following IPR Declarations may be related to this I-D:

   http://datatracker.ietf.org/ipr/875/