Subject: I-D Action: draft-ietf-rtgwg-bgp-pic-05.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 25 May 2017 12:10:35 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Routing Area Working Group of the IETF.

        Title           : BGP Prefix Independent Convergence
        Authors         : Ahmed Bashandy
                          Clarence Filsfils
                          Prodosh Mohapatra
	Filename        : draft-ietf-rtgwg-bgp-pic-05.txt
	Pages           : 30
	Date            : 2017-05-25

Abstract:
In the network comprising thousands of iBGP peers exchanging millions
of routes, many routes are reachable via more than one next-hop.
Given the large scaling targets, it is desirable to restore traffic
after failure in a time period that does not depend on the number of
BGP prefixes. In this document we proposed an architecture by which
traffic can be re-routed to ECMP or pre-calculated backup paths in a
timeframe that does not depend on the number of BGP prefixes. The
objective is achieved through organizing the forwarding data
structures in a hierarchical manner and sharing forwarding elements
among the maximum possible number of routes. The proposed technique
achieves prefix independent convergence while ensuring incremental
deployment, complete automation, and zero management and provisioning
effort. It is noteworthy to mention that the benefits of BGP-PIC are
hinged on the existence of more than one path whether as ECMP or
primary-backup.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-rtgwg-bgp-pic/

There are also htmlized versions available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-rtgwg-bgp-pic-05
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-ietf-rtgwg-bgp-pic-05

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-rtgwg-bgp-pic-05

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/