Subject: Adam Roach's No Objection on draft-ietf-rtgwg-yang-rip-08: (with COMMENT)

From: Adam Roach <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2018 22:15:17 -0800

Adam Roach has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-rtgwg-yang-rip-08: No Objection

When responding, please keep the subject line intact and reply to all
email addresses included in the To and CC lines. (Feel free to cut this
introductory paragraph, however.)

Please refer to https://www.ietf.org/iesg/statement/discuss-criteria.html
for more information about IESG DISCUSS and COMMENT positions.

The document, along with other ballot positions, can be found here:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-rtgwg-yang-rip/

----------------------------------------------------------------------
COMMENT:
----------------------------------------------------------------------

I have a few minor comments.

In the YANG module, I find this definition:

               leaf address {
                 type inet:ip-prefix;
                 description
                   "IPv4 address, in the form A.B.C.D, and the prefix
                    length, separated by the slash (/) character;
                    or IPv6 address, in the form A:B:C:D:E:F:G:H, and
                    the prefix length, separated by the slash (/)
                    character.";
               }

The description -- which clearly says that IPv6 addresses need to be
represented as eight discreet components -- implies that the use of ::
(https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc5952#section-4.1) and embedded IPv4 addresses
(https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc5952#section-5) is forbidden. This seems to be
a restriction above and beyond that defined for ipv6-prefix in RFC 6991. Since
I don't find any explanation of this in the accompanying text, I suspect this
is an error. I think you want to cite RFC 5952 rather than trying to to
describe the various valid formats for IPv6 addresses here.

____

I believe you want to update the copyright date that appears at the top of the
YANG module definition.

____

Please consider updating the example in appendix A to conform to the IAB
guidance found at <https://www.iab.org/2016/11/07/iab-statement-on-ipv6/>. This
would involve changing the example to use IPv6 instead of IPv4, or adding an
IPv6 example in addition to the IPv4 example.