Subject: Kicking off the LSVR (Link State Vector Routing) charter discussion

From: "Van De Velde, Gunter (Nokia - BE/Antwerp)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2018 10:50:30 +0000

[Note: Target audience, and discussions should happen on [email-masked], however "rtgwg", "idr" and "dcrouting" email lists have been added as the concepts originated in those working groups]

Since dcrouting@ietf100, a few people have been discussing a possible WG charter for LSVR (Link State Vector Routing).
Here is what we have so far.  Comments and improvements would be most welcome. 

WG page is to be setup soon.
Subscription to LSVR mailing list: https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/lsvr

Feedback (comments, edits, corrections, etc)  on the draft LSVR charter is appreciated 

***** DRAFT CHARTER UPDATE - JAN 10 2018 *****
 
Charter: LSVR - Link State Vector Routing 
 
The Link-State Vector Routing (LSVR) Working Group is chartered to develop and document a hybrid routing protocol utilizing a combination of link-state and path-vector routing mechanisms.  The LSVR WG will utilize existing the IPv4/IPv6 transport, packet formats, and error handling from BGP-4 (RFC4271). Additionally, the BGP-LS NLRI encoding mechanisms defined in RFC7752 are utilized to facilitate Link-State Vector (LSV) routing information distribution. An LSV is intended to be specified as a data structure comprised of a link identification, link attributes, neighbor information, cost toward neighbors, and other attributes that are defined for control plane function and policy-based routing decisions.
 
The LSVR specification is initially focused on operation within a single datacenter (DC) with preliminary focus on specifying functionality within a single distribution domain.  Routing protocol functionality defined by LSVR would be typically routing within a datacenter's underlay routing plane. 
 
In order to achieve the noted objective, the working group will focus on standardization of protocol functionality, defining Link-State Vectors (LSVs), and defining standard path-vector route selection utilizing existing Dijkstra SPF based algorithm, BGP-4 protocol mechanics, and BGP-LS NRLI encoding.
 
For the purposes of the initial work within the LSVR WG, and until further specified by the WG, the following definitions apply to this charter.
 
- Link-State Vector - An LSV is intended to represent a data structure (data set) comprised of link identification, link attributes, neighbor information, cost towards neighbors, and other potential attributes that can be utilized to make routing decisions.
- LSVR Distribution Domain - Initially scoped as a set of participating LSVR nodes in a single administrative domain.

The LSVR WG is chartered to deliver the following documents:
 
- Publish Applicability Statement for the use of LSVR in the Datacenter - Target Status: Informational
- Publish specification document describing LSV with standard Dijkstra SPF route/path selection (calculation) utilizing existing BGP protocol baseline functionality and BGP-LS packet encoding formats - Target: Standards Track (Based on draft draft-keyupate-idr-bgp-spf)
- Publish specification documenting protocol extensions required to efficiently reuse BGP to distribute LSVs within an IPv4/IPv6 DC with scope to include privacy and security considerations - - Target: Standards Track
- Publish YANG model specification for LSVR - - Target: Standards Track
 
LSVR Milestones:
 
- Applicability statement for LSVR in DCs: March 2019
- LSVR with standard Dijkstra path selection: March 2019
- LSV distribution using BGP transport: March 2019
- YANG specification for LSRV: July 2019

---

From: "Susan Hares" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2018 21:23:43 -0500

Gunter:

First all - I'm thrilled to see the work in the IETF.  

I am a long term supporter  advancing SSPV (link state path-vector)
algorithms (starting in 1999/2000).   

Second, you have my assurance that we will fast-track any BGP-LS you deem
critical (just as we do for spring, BESS, Grow and other BGP related WGs). 

Third, you might want to put coordinate with IDR into your charter.  

Cheerily, Susan Hares

-----Original Message-----
From: Idr [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Van De Velde, Gunter
(Nokia - BE/Antwerp)
Sent: Wednesday, January 10, 2018 5:51 AM
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]; [email-masked]; Victor Kuarsingh; Keyur Patel; Van De
Velde, Gunter (Nokia - BE/Antwerp); Shawn Zandi; [email-masked]
Subject: [Idr] Kicking off the LSVR (Link State Vector Routing) charter
discussion

[Note: Target audience, and discussions should happen on [email-masked],
however "rtgwg", "idr" and "dcrouting" email lists have been added as the
concepts originated in those working groups]

Since dcrouting@ietf100, a few people have been discussing a possible WG
charter for LSVR (Link State Vector Routing).
Here is what we have so far.  Comments and improvements would be most
welcome. 

WG page is to be setup soon.
Subscription to LSVR mailing list:
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/lsvr

Feedback (comments, edits, corrections, etc)  on the draft LSVR charter is
appreciated 

 
The Link-State Vector Routing (LSVR) Working Group is chartered to develop
and document a hybrid routing protocol utilizing a combination of link-state
and path-vector routing mechanisms.  The LSVR WG will utilize existing the
IPv4/IPv6 transport, packet formats, and error handling from BGP-4
(RFC4271). Additionally, the BGP-LS NLRI encoding mechanisms defined in
RFC7752 are utilized to facilitate Link-State Vector (LSV) routing
information distribution. An LSV is intended to be specified as a data
structure comprised of a link identification, link attributes, neighbor
information, cost toward neighbors, and other attributes that are defined
for control plane function and policy-based routing decisions.
 
The LSVR specification is initially focused on operation within a single
datacenter (DC) with preliminary focus on specifying functionality within a
single distribution domain.  Routing protocol functionality defined by LSVR
would be typically routing within a datacenter's underlay routing plane. 
 
In order to achieve the noted objective, the working group will focus on
standardization of protocol functionality, defining Link-State Vectors
(LSVs), and defining standard path-vector route selection utilizing existing
Dijkstra SPF based algorithm, BGP-4 protocol mechanics, and BGP-LS NRLI
encoding.
 
For the purposes of the initial work within the LSVR WG, and until further
specified by the WG, the following definitions apply to this charter.
 
- Link-State Vector - An LSV is intended to represent a data structure (data
set) comprised of link identification, link attributes, neighbor
information, cost towards neighbors, and other potential attributes that can
be utilized to make routing decisions.
- LSVR Distribution Domain - Initially scoped as a set of participating LSVR
nodes in a single administrative domain.

- Publish Applicability Statement for the use of LSVR in the Datacenter -
Target Status: Informational
- Publish specification document describing LSV with standard Dijkstra SPF
route/path selection (calculation) utilizing existing BGP protocol baseline
functionality and BGP-LS packet encoding formats - Target: Standards Track
(Based on draft draft-keyupate-idr-bgp-spf)
- Publish specification documenting protocol extensions required to
efficiently reuse BGP to distribute LSVs within an IPv4/IPv6 DC with scope
to include privacy and security considerations - - Target: Standards Track
- Publish YANG model specification for LSVR - - Target: Standards Track
 
LSVR Milestones:

_______________________________________________
Idr mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/idr

---

From: "Susan Hares" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2018 21:41:17 -0500

Gunter:

It looks like my keyboard bounced -   I am a long term support of LSPV (link
state path vector). 

Thank you for arranging this work. 

Sue 

-----Original Message-----
From: Idr [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Susan Hares
Sent: Wednesday, January 24, 2018 9:24 PM
To: 'Van De Velde, Gunter (Nokia - BE/Antwerp)'; [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]; [email-masked]; 'Victor Kuarsingh'; 'Keyur Patel';
'Shawn Zandi'; [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [Idr] Kicking off the LSVR (Link State Vector Routing) charter
discussion

Gunter:

Cheerily, Susan Hares

-----Original Message-----

 

 

 
 
LSVR Milestones:

---

From: Alvaro Retana <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2018 14:28:46 -0800

On January 24, 2018 at 9:24:07 PM, Susan Hares ([email-masked]) wrote:

Yes, definitely!  I’ll add that to the working copy.

Thanks!

Alvaro.