Subject: Scalable De-Aggregation for Overlays Using the Border Gateway Protocol (BGP)

From: "Templin (US), Fred L" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2019 17:37:20 +0000

Hi, our document on: "A Simple BGP-based Mobile Routing System for the Aeronautical
Telecommunications Network" is now a rtgwg working group item:

https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-rtgwg-atn-bgp/

The document is chartered to focus specifically on the aviation use case, where the
numbers of mobile nodes will be nominal but the mobility signaling overhead requires
a distributed mobility management approach. We now consider applying this same
model for other use cases where the numbers of mobiles can be quite large.

As a result, we have published a new draft on: "Scalable De-Aggregation for Overlays
Using the Border Gateway Protocol (BGP)" (see below). In this document, we show
how a BGP overlay can be arranged to accommodate 1 billion or more de-aggregated
mobile network prefixes. This is three orders of magnitude more than the number
of routes carried in the global Internet BGP routing tables, and accommodates
mobility without incurring massive routing churn in core routers.

Please have a look at the document (only 7 pages) and comment.

Thanks - Fred

-----Original Message-----
From: I-D-Announce [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of [email-masked]
Sent: Tuesday, January 29, 2019 8:01 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: I-D Action: draft-templin-rtgwg-scalable-bgp-01.txt

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

        Title           : Scalable De-Aggregation for Overlays Using the Border Gateway Protocol (BGP)
        Authors         : Fred L. Templin
                          Greg Saccone
                          Gaurav Dawra
                          Acee Lindem
                          Victor Moreno
	Filename        : draft-templin-rtgwg-scalable-bgp-01.txt
	Pages           : 7
	Date            : 2019-01-29

Abstract:
   The Border Gateway Protocol (BGP) has well-known limitations in terms
   of the numbers of routes that can be carried and stability of the
   routing system.  This is especially true when mobile nodes frequently
   change their network attachment points, which in the past has
   resulted in excessive announcements and withdrawals of de-aggregated
   prefixes.  This document discusses a means of accommodating scalable
   de-aggregation of IPv6 prefixes for overlay networks using BGP.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-templin-rtgwg-scalable-bgp/

There are also htmlized versions available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-templin-rtgwg-scalable-bgp-01
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-templin-rtgwg-scalable-bgp-01

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-templin-rtgwg-scalable-bgp-01

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

_______________________________________________
I-D-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/i-d-announce
Internet-Draft directories: http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt