Subject: FINAL CFP: INTERNET RESEARCH 2.0 - Deadline March 2, 2001

From: jeremy hunsinger <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2001 14:40:23 -0500

>Please distribute widely,

>INTERNET RESEARCH 2.0: INTERconnections
>
>The Second International Conference of the Association of Internet Researchers
>OCTOBER 10-14, 2001
>University of Minnesota
>Minneapolis and St.Paul, Minnesota, USA
>
>DEADLINE FOR PROPOSALS: Friday, March 2, 2001
>
>Keynote Speakers:
>
>Phil Agre, Associate Professor of Information Studies, University of
>California, Los Angeles, USA
>
>Anita Allen-Castellito, Professor of Law and Philosophy, University of
>Pennsylvania, USA
>
>Lisa Nakamura, Assistant Professor of English, Sonoma State University, USA
>
>Sheizaf Rafaeli, Head of the Center for the Study of the Information
>Society and Professor of Business Administration, University of Haifa, Israel
>
>
>
>The Internet's ever-increasing points of connection to almost every
>element of 21st century life have prompted strong interest in
>understanding the social aspects of cyberspace. The popular press offers
>wave after wave of speculation and vague forecasts, but what is really
>needed to help us understand how to live in our wired world is research:
>research that is collaborative, international, and interdisciplinary.
>
>In September 2000, over 300 people attended the first international
>Conference of the Association of Internet Researchers (AoIR) at the
>University of Kansas. This Conference built connections among Internet
>researchers from across a range disciplines and from around the globe. In
>October of 2001, INTERNET RESEARCH 2.0 will offer an opportunity to
>reinforce and extend these connections. IR 2.0 will bring together
>prominent scholars, researchers, practitioners, and students from many
>disciplines and fields for a program of keynote addresses, paper
>presentations, formal discussions, and informal exchanges.
>
>IR 2.0 will be held on the campus of the University of Minnesota, one of
>the world's most technologically innovative campuses. The conference will
>provide opportunities to network, learn from other researchers, hear from
>leading players in Internet development, and take in the sights and sounds
>of the Twin Cities of Minneapolis and St. Paul.
>
>The Association of Internet Researchers invites paper, presentation, and
>panel proposals on topics that address social, cultural, political,
>economic, and aesthetic aspects of the Internet. We welcome submissions
>from any discipline, as well as work from those producing new media or
>working in multimedia studies. Panel presentations which establish
>connections across disciplines, institutions and/or continents are
>especially encouraged. We also seek presentations which will make creative
>use of Internet technologies and techniques, including (but not limited
>to) digital art and e-poster sessions.
>
>We suggest the following as possible themes for proposals.
>
>*  communication-based Internet studies
>*  digital art
>*  distance education and pedagogy
>*  e-commerce and business
>*  gender, sexualities, and the Internet
>*  human-computer interaction (HCI)
>*  international perspectives on the Internet
>*  Internet technologies
>*  law and the Internet, including privacy and copyright issues
>*  methodological issues in Internet studies
>*  new media and Internet journalism
>*  psychology and the Internet
>*  the "Digital Divide"
>*  race and cyberspace
>*  rhetoric and technology
>
>This list is not meant to be exclusive, but rather to trigger ideas and
>encourage submissions from a range of disciplines. When we are able to
>identify scholars from a range of disciplines pursuing shared themes, we
>will work to bring these scholars together for panel sessions.
>
>When preparing proposals, please consider the convention's conventions:
>
>*  Most conference sessions will be 90 minutes, with no less than the
>final thirty minutes reserved for discussion.
>
>*  The average time allotted for a paper or presentation will be 15 minutes.
>
>If these time constraints are not appropriate for your panel/presentation,
>please highlight this in your proposal. Also, please include any unusual
>equipment needs or special considerations that might affect your presentation.
>
>Individual paper and presentation proposals should be no more than 250
>words. Panels will generally include three or four papers or
>presentations. For panel proposals, the session organizer should submit a
>150-250 word statement describing the panel topic, including abstracts of
>up to 250 words for each paper or presentation in the panel.
>
>Graduate students are highly encouraged to submit proposals. They should
>note their student status with their submissions, and, if they wish,
>submit completed papers by the March 2 deadline so their work can be
>considered for a special Student Award. The winner of the Student Award
>will have conference fees waived.
>
>Conference organizers are working to ensure that IR 2.0 will be affordable
>for graduate students, and indeed, for all attendees. Details of
>anticipated costs will be posted to the conference website
>(http://www.cddc.vt.edu/aoir ) in the coming weeks.
>
>All proposals should be submitted electronically at
>http://www2.cddc.vt.edu/confman/
>
>It is preferred that you use HTML to minimally format your submission.
>
>The deadline for submissions of paper/session proposals is Friday, March
>2, 2001.
>
>If you have questions about the program, conference, or AoIR, please contact:
>
>Program Chair: Leslie Shade, University of Ottawa, [email-masked]
>Conference Coordinator: John Logie, University of Minnesota, [email-masked]
>A(O)IR President: Steve Jones, [email-masked]
>
>More Information about IR 2.0 can be found on the Conference Website:
>http://www.cddc.vt.edu/aoir For more information about the Association of
>Internet Researchers, including information on joining the Association,
>visit AoIR's website at http://aoir.org

Jeremy Hunsinger                http://www.cddc.vt.edu
Instructor of Political Science Center for Digital Discourse and Culture
Webmaster/Manager CDDC     http://www2.cddc.vt.edu/cyber
526 Major Williams Hall 0130    http://www.cddc.vt.edu/jeremy --my homepage
Virginia Tech                   (yes i need to update it)
Blacksburg, VA 24061            (540)-231-7614  icq 5535471