Subject: Re: comments on minutes

From: Radia Perlman - Boston Center for Networking <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2001 23:47:01 -0500 (EST)

From: Tom Wu <[email-masked]>

	I think the difficulty of implementation arises partially from the lack
	of (currently available) specifications.  Where do you start looking for
	safe primes?  How big is the range?  How is the hint implemented?  How
	do you thwart timing attacks?

All these things about PDM are specified completely in the internet draft.

Radia

---

From: Tom Wu <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2001 21:23:33 -0800

> All these things about PDM are specified completely in the internet draft.

Indeed they are.  In section 4.1, there is discussion about the trial
division stage, where the specification calls for verifying that p and
(p-1)/2 do not have prime factors < 10^4.  Have you looked into which is
more efficient - brute-force trial division or a large in-memory sieve? 
What's a good way to implement that portion of the primality check on a
memory-constrained device?

> Radia

Tom
-- 
Tom Wu
Principal Software Engineer
Arcot Systems
(408) 969-6124
"The Borg?  Sounds Swedish..."