Subject: SACRED Protocol Framework, Draft-02

From: Dale Gustafson <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2001 14:56:26 -0500

Hi All,

We've started working on draft-02 of the protocol framework document.

I've pulled together an initial list of suggested refinements from the mailing
list (and elsewhere) and have started to work on some of them:

1. Strong Password Protocols

Change terminology of section 3.1 from strong password algorithms to "strong
password protocols".

2. Definitions - Password Authenticated Key Negotiation

Add a definition for strong password protocol and indicate that, throughout the
document, strong password protocol means a "password authenticated key
negotiation" protocol.

3. Definitions - Stored credential format .vs. transmitted credential format

Expand and clarify the definition of "secured credential" as needed.

4. Multiple Strong Password Protocols

List the strong password authentication protocols that should be supported by
every SACRED protocol specification.  Check reference to each RFC / draft RFC.

 - DH-EKE
 - PDM
 - SPEKE
 - SRP-3
 - other?

Questions:  Several experts have also suggested use of 2 message variants for
some or all of these protocol (that normally require a 4 message exchange, for
example).  How will these protocols be documented?  For a framework document,
can we reference protocols that are not yet fully standardized via an approved
RFC or PKCS document?

5. Credential Formats

Expand and clarify Section 6 (Credential Formats).  This is an existing update
that just missed being included in the final editing run for draft-01.

6. The Substantive Issues

In general, we need more discussion on the more substantive issues that need to
be debated and agreed to make the framework document more complete and useful:

a) single, mandatory to implement Transport protocol

 - UDP
 - TCP/IP
 - HTTP
 - HTTP/SSL
 - BEEP

b) single, mandatory to implement Strong Password protocol

< see list above >

c) single, mandatory to implement Credential Format

 - PKCS-12 version 1.0 (6/24/1999) + technical corrigendum (2/25/2000)
 - PKCS-15, version 1.1 (6/6/2000)
 - other?

Please comment on these items and raise any others that should be addressed by
the next draft of the framework.

It's not likely that we'll resolve all of the above as we write this next draft
but we can resolve some and move ahead on others.  Hopefully, further list
discussion will occur while we work the more straightforward updates.

Thanks and Best Regards,

Dale Gustafson

---

From: Dale Gustafson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2001 09:26:10 -0500

Does anyone know ...

Was there a PKCS-12 specification (earlier than v1.0) that documents what was
originally implemented by Netscape, Microsoft, and/or others?  I can only find
one version on the RSA Labs site and it looks like the latest/greatest.  I
recall the earlier version of PKCS-12 had no salt in the hashed password and
perhaps other anomalies.

Regards,

--dg