Subject: The future of SACRED

From: "Ariel Sobelmen" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2001 16:46:53 +0200

Hi all,

I'm new on this list and realize I'm jumping into the middle of a discussion
I know little about.  I am chair of WAP Forum's E-commerce Expert Group
(ECOMEG) and have been exchanging private e-mails with a number of members
of your group during the last few days.  Essentially, in the next ECOMEG
meetings we will be trying to address the business questions surrounding the
need for availability of credentials and the various use-cases in which such
availability will be required.

Looking around at the work being done, I have not come across many other
groups which produced work on this topic.  I would think that there can be
great value in learning more about what each group is doing, and this can be
quite useful for us at the WAP Forum/ECOMEG to understand the work further
and see if there is need and interest to coordinate this work with WAP work
and specifications.

Therefore, although I am not sure what dormant and shutdown mean in the IETF
working group context, it doesn't sound like a great thing... :-)

I'd like to suggest that some exploration of potential cooperation be
examined.  Unfortunately, I will not be able to attend SLC meeting.
However, during the upcoming WAP Forum meeting (December 2-6, Berlin), I
will check who from ECOMEG will be attending SLC and see if we can
coordinate an attendee to your group.  I would also like to encourage a
presentation of SACRED work to ECOMEG (and possibly check with WAP Security
working group - WSG if they would be interested in this too).

Thanks, Ariel

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked]
[mailto:[email-masked]]On Behalf Of Magnus Nystrom
Sent: Monday, November 26, 2001 8:51 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: The future of SACRED

Dear WG,

A second version of SACRED's protocol I-D was posted about four weeks
ago. To date, we have received only one comment on this draft. The
first version received very limited feedback too, which brought us to
ask, at the IETF in London, whether we have a broad enough
constituency to continue the work towards a standards-track document.

Given the continued low level of interaction on the mailing list, we
would therefore once again like to ask those of you who are interested
in developing a standards track protocol to step forward and
express your interest and willingness to contribute to the quality
of the solution. We feel that we would need this support from a
reasonable number of independent members of the group in order to
continue the work towards a standards-track RFC. If we don't get this
confirmation, our plan is to move the SACRED protocol document to
experimental track RFC sometime early next year (after a WG last
call).

Please send an email to the list before the IETF meeting in SLC (and
better yet include your comments on the current draft), so that we
know at the meeting whether the main topic to discuss is WG status or
the comments on the protocol draft.

Best regards,
-- Magnus and Stephen