Subject: [SAFE] Keepalive duration and radio access protocols

From: "Xavier Marjou" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 3 Dec 2007 13:21:44 -0800

With regards to today's meeting, I would have the following question:
Isn't there a risk that reducing the keepalive traffic impacts
radio-access protocols? (e.g. with things like loss of radio access
bearer)

Cheers,
Xavier

_______________________________________________
SAFE mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/safe

---

From: Rémi Denis-Courmont <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 4 Dec 2007 00:01:55 +0200

> radio-access protocols? (e.g. with things like loss of radio access

I have been able to keep a 3G PDP context for hours while not sending any IP 
packets through it. In any case, if the radio technology cannot keep up with 
long delays between keep-alives, it cannot be used by battery-powered 
devices. Considering that the overwhelming majority of said devices are 
actually battery-powered, I am pretty confident that the technology can 
already cope with such time-distant keep-alives (and if it cannot, then some 
other SIP-using SDOs have a big big problem).

-- 
Rémi Denis-Courmont