Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-newman-auth-resp-00.txt (fwd)

From: Chris Newman <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Jul 1998 08:47:09 -0700 (PDT)

I'm very interested in feedback on this proposal and possibilities for
making it more complete, or any security considerations I've missed.

		- Chris

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 14 Jul 1998 07:48:26 -0400
From: [email-masked]
To: IETF-Announce:  ;
Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-newman-auth-resp-00.txt

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts
directories.

	Title           : Authentication Responses for Protocols (SMTP,
			  IMAP, POP, etc)
	Author(s)	: C. Newman
	Filename	: draft-newman-auth-resp-00.txt
	Pages		: 10
	Date		: 13-Jul-98
	
This memo assigns client authentication error codes for those
situations where a client may take specific corrective action in the
face of a failed authentication attempt.  Some of these codes are used
by one strategy to transition users away from unencrypted clear text
passwords.

Internet-Drafts are available by anonymous FTP.  Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address.  After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-newman-auth-resp-00.txt".
A URL for the Internet-Draft is:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-newman-auth-resp-00.txt

Internet-Drafts directories are located at:

	Africa:	ftp.is.co.za
	
	Europe: ftp.nordu.net
		ftp.nis.garr.it
			
	Pacific Rim: munnari.oz.au
	
	US East Coast: ftp.ietf.org
	
	US West Coast: ftp.isi.edu

Internet-Drafts are also available by mail.

Send a message to:	[email-masked].  In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-newman-auth-resp-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.