Subject: DIGEST-MD5: prohibit quoting in nonce and cnonce

From: John Gardiner Myers <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2001 16:46:18 -0800

The nonce and cnonce currently can include backslash quoting.  This is
needlessly complex and is unlikely to be correctly implemented.  I
propose tightening the syntax to disallow quoting in these values:

	nonce-value = *qdtext
	cnonce-value = *qdtext

---

From: Chris Newman <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2001 19:26:00 -0800

That would break compatibility with RFC 2617 which is already draft 
standard.

		- Chris

---

From: John Gardiner Myers <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2001 13:21:23 -0800

> That would break compatibility with RFC 2617 which is already draft

This does not "break" compatibility with RFC 2617, it merely prohibits
the use of some RFC 2617 options.  It is similar to the requirement that
the "opaque" and "domain" options not be sent.

Are there any RFC 2617 implementations which actually send quoted nonces
or cnonces?  Do RFC 2617 implementations actually implement this
correctly?

---

From: Chris Newman <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2001 19:26:00 -0800

- Chris

---

From: John Gardiner Myers <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2001 13:21:23 -0800