Subject: SASL WG formation recommended

From: "Kurt D. Zeilenga" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2001 19:34:32 -0800

After reviewing the list comments and clarifying the positions
of select individuals who raised issues, Alexey and I have
concluded the consensus of this supported recommending the
"Proposed Charter".  Hence, I have submitted the following
charter (same as discussed excepting with less typos) for
consideration by our ADs.

I commend everyone for making this happen.

I note that while the formation of the WG is being considered,
we can continue making progress on work items.  Though we cannot
take any WG action (no WG I-Ds, no WG last calls, no WG
submissions to the IESG), we can continue to edit I-D submitted
by individuals and continue to make things happen.

Live long and standardize!

Regards, Kurt

Simple Authentication and Security Layer (SASL)

Chair(s):
  Kurt Zeilenga <[email-masked]>
  Alexey Melnikov <[email-masked]>

Security Area Advisor: <[email-masked]>
Applications Area Advisor: <[email-masked]>

Mailing Lists:
  General Discussions: <[email-masked]>
  To Subscribe: <[email-masked]>
  In Body: subscribe
  Archive: http://www.imc.org/ietf-sasl/mail-archive/

Description of Working Group

  The Simple Authentication and Security Layer [RFC2222] provides
  key security services to a number of application protocols
  including BEEP, IMAP, LDAP, POP, and SMTP.  The purpose of
  this working group is to shepherd SASL, including select SASL
  mechanisms, through the Internet Standards process.

  This group will deliver a revised SASL Technical Specification
  suitable for consideration as a Draft Standard.  This work
  will be based upon RFC 2222 and draft-myers-saslrev-00.txt.

  This group will deliver revised Technical Specifications
  suitable for consideration as Draft Standards for the following
  SASL mechanisms: CRAM-MD5, DIGEST-MD5, and EXTERNAL.  This work
  will be based upon RFC 2195, RFC 2222, and RFC 2831.

  This group will deliver a revised Technical Specification
  suitable for publication as Proposed Standard for the GSSAPI
  family of SASL mechanisms.  This work will be based upon
  RFC 2222 and draft-ietf-cat-sasl-gssapi-02.txt.

  This group will deliver a Technical Specification
  suitable for publication as Proposed Standard describing
  a family of SASL mechanisms using the Secure Remote
  Password [RFC2945] protocol.  This work will be based
  upon draft-burdis-cat-srp-sasl-04.txt.

  The following areas are not within the scope of work of this WG:
    - new features,
    - SASL Mechanisms not specifically mentioned above, and
    - SASL "profiles".

  However, the SASL WG is an acceptable forum for review of
  SASL-related submissions produced by others as long as such
  review does not impede progress on the WG objectives listed
  above.

Goals and Milestones
  Apr 01  Submit revised SASL (+ EXTERNAL) I-D
  May 01  Submit revised SASL CRAM-MD5 I-D
  May 01  Submit revised SASL DIGEST-MD5 I-D
  May 01  Submit revised SASL GSSAPI I-D
  May 01  Submit SASL SRP I-D
  Jul 01  Submit Implementation Report
  Aug 01  Submit revised SASL, CRAM-MD5, DIGEST-MD5 I-Ds with
          Implementation Report to IESG for consideration as
          a Draft Standard
  Nov 01  Submit revised SASL GSSAPI I-D to IESG for consideration
          as a Proposed Standard
  Nov 01  Submit SASL SRP I-D to IESG for consideration as a
          Proposed Standard
  Dec 01  Revise charter or conclude