Subject: Draft charter of the SASL Working Group

From: "Kurt D. Zeilenga" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2001 13:36:39 -0600

In the next few days, I would like to recommend a
charter for the SASL WG to the ADs.  I propose the
following charter for your review and comment.  In
particular, I ask those who intend to serve as
document editors to check the milestones.

 -- Kurt

Simple Authentication and Security Layer (SASL)

Chair(s):
  Kurt Zeilenga <[email-masked]>
  Alexey Melnikov <[email-masked]>

Security Area AD: TBD
Applications Area AD: <[email-masked]>

Mailing Lists:
  General Discussions: <[email-masked]>
  To Subscribe: <[email-masked]>
  In Body: subscribe
  Archive: http://www.imc.org/ietf-sasl/mail-archive/

Description of Working Group

  The Simple Authentication and Security Layer [RFC2222] provides
  key security services to a number of application protocols
  including BEEP, IMAP, LDAP, POP, and SMTP.  The purpose of
  this working group is to shepherd SASL, including select SASL
  mechanisms, though the Internet Standard process.

  This group will deliver a revised SASL Technical Specification
  suitable for consideration as a Draft Standard.  This work
  will be based upon RFC 2222.

  This group will deliver revised Technical Specifications
  suitable considerations as Draft Standards for the following
  SASL mechanisms: CRAM-MD5, DIGEST-MD5, and EXTERNAL.  This work
  will be based upon RFC 2195, 2222, and 2831.

  This group will deliver a revised Technical Specification
  suitable for publication as Proposed Standard for the GSSAPI
  family of SASL mechanisms.  This work will be based upon
  RFC 2222 and draft-ietf-cat-sasl-gssapi-02.txt.

  The following areas are not within the scope of work of this WG:
    - new features,
    - SASL Mechanisms not specifically mentioned above, and
    - SASL "profiles".

  However, the SASL WG is an acceptable forum for review of
  SASL-related submissions produced by others as long as such
  review does not impede progress on the WG objectives listed
  above.

Goals and Milestones
  Apr 01  Submit revised SASL (+ EXTERNAL) I-D
  May 01  Submit revised SASL CRAM-MD5 I-D
  May 01  Submit revised SASL DIGEST-MD5 I-D
  May 01  Submit revised SASL GSSAPI I-D
  Jul 01  Submit Implementation Report as I-D
  Aug 01  Submit revised SASL, CRAM-MD5, DIGEST-MD5 I-Ds with
          Implementation Report to IESG for consideration as
          a Draft Standard
  Nov 01  Submit revised GSSAPI I-D to IESG for consideration
          as a Proposed Standard
  Dec 01  Revise charter or conclude