Subject: a dedicated SASL WG

From: "Raif S. Naffah" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2001 06:39:55 +1100

hi there,

There are currently many SASL-related drafts other than the one (SASL 
GSS-API mechanisms 
<http://search.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-cat-sasl-gssapi-02.txt>) 
listed under the Common Authentication Technology WG drafts, namely:

A. new SASL mechanisms:

    1. Secure Remote Password SASL Mechanism
    <http://search.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-burdis-cat-srp-sasl-04.txt>

    2. SM2 -- A Session Management Capable SASL Mechanism
    <http://search.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-naffah-cat-sasl-sm2-00.txt>

    3. X.509 Authentication SASL Mechanism
    <http://search.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ldapext-x509-sasl-03.txt>

    4. ISO/IEC 9798-3 Authentication SASL Mechanism
    <http://search.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-zuccherato-9798-3-sasl-02.txt>

B. Java SASL API:

    5. The Java SASL Application Program Interface
    <http://search.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-weltman-java-sasl-04.txt>

C. Using SASL with other protocols:

    6. Upgrading to SASL Within HTTP/1.1
    <http://search.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-burdis-http-sasl-00.txt>

    7. SASL in HTTP/1.1
    <http://search.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-nystrom-http-sasl-00.txt>

    8. LDAP Authentication Response Control
    <http://search.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-weltman-ldapv3-auth-response-03.txt>

As clarified by the Common Authentication Technology (CAT) WG Chair, John 
Linn, SASL mechanisms, APIs, and SASL/protocol integration documents have 
not been work items of the CAT-WG, and CAT has itself been placed in an 
idle state, pending on possible advancement of its existing RFCs but not 
undertaking new work.

My question to the list is: how ready, and/or willing, is the SASL 
community to charter a new WG dedicated to SASL?

TIA + cheers;
rsn

cc: John Linn, Jeffrey Schiller, Marcus Leech.

---

From: "Paul Leach" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2001 10:02:00 -0800

I've heard of no redeisign for SASL-GSS. What are the issues?

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Kurt D. Zeilenga [mailto:[email-masked]] 
> Sent: Monday, March 12, 2001 8:54 AM
> To: Leif Johansson
> 
<snip>

> The fact that the GSSAPI mechanism is being redesigned
> implies it is not suitable for progression.

---

From: "Kurt D. Zeilenga" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2001 10:15:00 -0800

>I've heard of no redeisign for SASL-GSS. What are the issues?

See http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-cat-sasl-gssapi-02.txt

Even if this work makes no substantive change to the existing
SASL/GSSAPI mechanism, I note that SASL/GSSAPI cannot be
progressed immediately due to other standard track maturity issues
(GSSAPI is currently at Proposed).  Though I believe GSSAPI
mechanism work should continue, I'd prefer to treat GSSAPI work
as secondary to a primary goal of getting SASL and other
select mechanisms to Draft Standard status.

Kurt