Subject: Draft description of the SASL Working Group

From: "Kurt D. Zeilenga" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2001 09:40:54 -0600

The ADs have given their consent to pursue the formation
of a SASL WG.  I propose the following as the description
to be used in the proposed charter.

Description of Working Group

  The Simple Authentication and Security Layer [RFC2222] provides
  key security services to a number of application protocols
  including BEEP, IMAP, LDAP, POP, and SMTP.  The purpose of
  this working group is to shepherd SASL, including select SASL
  mechanisms, though the Internet Standard process.

  This group will deliver a revised SASL Technical Specification
  suitable for consideration as a Draft Standard.  This work
  will be based upon RFC 2222.

  This group will deliver revised Technical Specifications
  suitable considerations as Draft Standards for the following
  SASL mechanisms: CRAM-MD5, DIGEST-MD5, and EXTERNAL.  This work
  will be based upon RFC 2195, 2222, and 2831.

  This group will deliver a revised Technical Specification
  suitable for publication as Proposed Standard for the GSSAPI
  family of SASL mechanisms.  This work will be based upon
  RFC 2222 and draft-ietf-cat-sasl-gssapi-02.txt.

  The following areas are not within the scope of work of this WG:
    - new features,
    - SASL Mechanisms not specifically mentioned above, and
    - SASL "profiles".

  However, the SASL WG is an acceptable forum for review of
  SASL-related submissions produced by others as long as such
  review does not impede progress on the WG objectives listed
  above.