Subject: Re: Comments about draft-myers-saslrev-00.txt

From: John Gardiner Myers <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 02 May 2001 14:01:12 -0700

Alexey Melnikov wrote:
> > I'd really rather not go there.  Any implementation checklist needs to
> > include all of section 6.  Section 5 should only mention things which
> > affect the definition of protocol profiles.
> 
> But section 6 *does* affect a protocol profile.

Section 6 affects the implementation of a protocol profile.  It does not
affect the definition of a protocol profile.

> One of the reasons I've asked was because BEEP explicitly prohibits that.
> [having TLS and SASL security layers interact]

It is certainly reasonable for a protocol profile to do this, since the
two provide the same set of services.  TLS on top of SASL is usually
prohibited by protocols prohibiting the starting of TLS after
authentication is complete.  (After authentication, it's already too
late to benefit from TLS anyway.)

---

From: John Gardiner Myers <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 02 May 2001 14:01:12 -0700