Subject: Re: Comment on draft-ietf-cat-sasl-gssapi-04.txt

From: Alexey Melnikov <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 01 May 2001 23:15:19 -0600

> > A generator MUST never generate text containing characters outside of
> > base32 alphabet. Any parser must not crash when parsing invalid input,
> > this is the question of quality of implementation.
>
> It means a generator is free to introduce other characters that make the
> output more transportable, such as newlines and other white space.
>

I understand that. However it is not the property of base32 (IMHO, it is a
generic rule) encoding and shouldn't  be in SASL document.

_________________________________________
Alexey Melnikov - Software Developer
Research and Development
ACI Worldwide (formerly MessagingDirect Ltd.)
phone           780.424.4922 x357
__________________________________________
I don't represent the opinion of TSA/ACI!
__________________________________________

---

From: Tony Hansen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 02 May 2001 01:21:59 -0400

I disagree. It may not be stated properly, but it must be part of the
definition of a base32 string that it may contain characters other than
those explicitly part of the base32 alphabet, and that a base32 parser
must be prepared to deal with such characters.

	Tony Hansen
	[email-masked]

---

From: John Gardiner Myers <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 02 May 2001 14:16:45 -0700

Alexey Melnikov wrote:
> Typo: mechanisms

Thanks, I ran a spell checker on the document.  I had several places
where I had mistyped "mechanisms".

> "multiple of 8 characters"?

Thanks.  Good catch.

> I don't recall whether I've asked this question before, but I don't
> understand the intention of the last sentence.

The intention is to allow this base32 specification to be reused by
other protocols needing a case-insensitive encoding.  I copied these
properties from base64, even though these properties are completely
irrelevant to SASL's use of base32.

> Your forgot sequencing flag ;-) [sequence_req_flag].

I meant to say sequence_req_flag instead of replay_det_req_flag.

---

From: Alexey Melnikov <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 01 May 2001 23:15:19 -0600

---

From: Tony Hansen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 02 May 2001 01:21:59 -0400

Tony Hansen
	[email-masked]

---

From: John Gardiner Myers <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 02 May 2001 14:16:45 -0700

Thanks.  Good catch.