Subject: Proposed Charter for the SASL WG

From: "Kurt D. Zeilenga" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Nov 2002 15:26:19 -0500

It appears that the IESG is ready to consider our previous
request for a WG.  Below is an updated proposed WG charter
for your review and comment.  This will be discussed tomorrow
at the SASL Bar BOF during 15:45 (meet at message board).

Kurt & Alexey

Simple Authentication and Security Layer (SASL)

Chair(s):
  Kurt Zeilenga <[email-masked]>
  Alexey Melnikov <[email-masked]>

Security Area Advisor: <[email-masked]>
Applications Area Advisor: <[email-masked]>

Mailing Lists:
  General Discussions: <[email-masked]>
  To Subscribe: <[email-masked]>
  In Body: subscribe
  Archive: http://www.imc.org/ietf-sasl/mail-archive/

Description of Working Group

  The Simple Authentication and Security Layer [RFC2222] provides
  key security services to a number of application protocols
  including BEEP, IMAP, LDAP, POP, and SMTP.  The purpose of
  this working group is to shepherd SASL, including select SASL
  mechanisms, through the Internet Standards process.

  This group will deliver a revised SASL Technical Specification
  suitable for consideration as a Draft Standard.  This work
  will be based upon RFC 2222 and draft-myers-saslrev.

  This group will deliver revised Technical Specifications
  suitable for consideration as Draft Standards for the following
  SASL mechanisms: ANONYMOUS, PLAIN, CRAM-MD5, DIGEST-MD5, and
  EXTERNAL.  This work will be based upon RFC 2195, RFC 2222, RFC
  2831, draft-zeilenga-sasl-anon, draft-zeilenga-sasl-plain,
  draft-nerenberg-sasl-crammd5 and draft-melnikov-rfc2831bis,
  and draft-myers-saslrev-xx.txt.

  This group will deliver a revised Technical Specification
  suitable for publication as Proposed Standard for the GSSAPI
  family of SASL mechanisms.  This work will be based upon
  RFC 2222 and draft-ietf-cat-sasl-gssapi.

  This group will deliver a Technical Specification
  suitable for publication as Proposed Standard describing
  a family of SASL mechanisms using the Secure Remote
  Password [RFC2945] protocol.  This work will be based
  upon draft-burdis-cat-srp-sasl.

  The following areas are not within the scope of work of this WG:
    - new features,
    - SASL Mechanisms not specifically mentioned above, and
    - SASL "profiles".

  However, the SASL WG is an acceptable forum for review of
  SASL-related submissions produced by others as long as such
  review does not impede progress on the WG objectives listed
  above.

Goals and Milestones
  Dec 02  Submit revised SASL (+ EXTERNAL) I-D
  Dec 02  Submit revised SASL ANONYMOUS I-D
  Dec 02  Submit revised SASL PLAIN I-D
  Dec 02  Submit revised SASL CRAM-MD5 I-D
  Dec 02  Submit revised SASL DIGEST-MD5 I-D
  Dec 02  Submit revised SASL GSSAPI I-D
  Dec 02  Submit SASL SRP I-D
  Jun 03  Submit Implementation Report
  Jul 03  Submit revised SASL, CRAM-MD5, DIGEST-MD5 I-Ds with
          Implementation Report to IESG for consideration as
          a Draft Standard
  Jul 03  Submit revised SASL GSSAPI I-D to IESG for consideration
          as a Proposed Standard
  Jul 03  Submit SASL SRP I-D to IESG for consideration as a
          Proposed Standard
  Aug 03  Revise charter or conclude