Subject: Comments on draft-ietf-sasl-rfc2222bis.txt

From: [email-masked] (Sam Hartman)
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2004 15:17:07 -0400 (EDT)

In section 2, the draft claims that the layer does not generally hide
the details of mechanisms from protocols.  I actually believe the
statement we want to be making is that while the layer hides the
details of protocols from mechanisms and the details of mechanisms
from protocols, it does not hide the details of mechanisms from
protocol implementations.  In particular, I consider it a requirement
to be able to specify a SASL binding to a protocol without thinking
about mechanism details.  I believe this requirement is met by the
base spec.  However actually implementing this protocol spec for a
particular mechanism requires the server and client to be aware of the
mechanism details.

I would not in general consider it acceptable for mechanism
specifications to place requirements on protocol specifications.

Besides this concern and some editorial issues I've sent to the
editor, I have read this document and believe it is of high quality.
As a chair however, I believe we still have not received sufficient
review to publish the document.

--Sam