Subject: RE: Some DIGEST-MD5 nits

From: "Paul Leach" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2004 11:26:56 -0800

> -----Original Message-----
> From: [email-masked]
[mailto:[email-masked]]
> On Behalf Of Simon Josefsson
> Sent: Sunday, December 19, 2004 7:09 PM
> To: [email-masked]
> Subject: Re: Some DIGEST-MD5 nits
> 
> 
> A few additional notes:
> 
> I suggest making AES the mandatory to implement cipher.  Currently,
> there is no reference for rc4 in the document, there are papers on
> weaknesses (such as Wagner's [1]), and there is no discussion in the
> current document how to deal with Shamir's findings (see [2]).
[Paul Leach] I would suggest that either RC4 be deprecated, or that a
new RC4-based cipher specifier be added that discards the first 256
bytes of the RNG. If the latter is the choice, security considerations
should be added referencing the above, and noting that discarding 256
bytes handles the problems.