Subject: minutes of the IETF#61 SASL session

From: "Kurt D. Zeilenga" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 Dec 2004 11:52:42 -0800

Simple Authentication and Security Layer (SASL) WG
==================================================
Chair(s): Kurt Zeilenga <[email-masked]>
       Sam Hartman <[email-masked]>

Tuesday, 9 November 2004  1545-1645

Minutes compiled by Kurt Zeilenga from notes taken by
Philip Guenther, Jeff Altman, others on Jabber.  Minutes
are not necessarily presented in chronological order.

The Chair opened the meeting shortly after 1545.  Philip
Guenther agreed to take meeting notes.  Jeff Altman agreed
to be our Jabber scribe.

It was noted that Sam Hartman would be stepping down as
stepping down as co-chair after the session as he accepted
an appointment to the IESG.

draft-ietf-sasl-rfc2222bis (SASL base spec) was discussed.
As Alexey (our Editor) was only able to participate via Jabber,
the Chair, using the summary Alexey posted to the list, briefly
went through the issues.
 - Identity terminology: this is the most significant
   outstanding issue.  The "requested identity" proposal
   discussed at WG LC turned out to be problematic,
   especially in regards to its impact on mechanism
   specifications and existing implementation conventions.
   While its appears the subsequently suggested approach to
   discussion "identity concepts" may resolve some of the
   terminology issues, further work is needed.  The chairs
   stated that the Editor needed additional direction here.
   The chairs to work with the Editor, giving the Editor as
   much free hand as possible, to come up with suitable text.
   But what's really needed is more WG review and comment.
 - Rekeying: consensus seems to be consistent with the
   chairs WGLC summary discussing this issue, but the text
   may need minor modification to reflect that consensus.
 - It was noted that document may need work in other areas.
 - The chairs asked who in the room had reviewed the document
   "front-to-back", few had.  The chairs noted that additional
   WG review was needed and called for WG members to review
   this document.

draft-ietf-sasl-rfc2831bis (DIGEST-MD5) was discussed.

As Alexey (our Editor) was only able to participate via Jabber,
the Chair provided a brief summary of the issues.
 - Alexey has a few minor editors to make,
 - Sam noted he would send crypto comments (CBC-fix) to list.
 - The chairs polled the room as to who has reviewed this I-D,
   few had.  The chairs noted that additional WG review was
   needed and called for WG members to review this document.

draft-ietf-sasl-gssapi-01.txt (GSSAPI mechanisms) was discussed.
The chairs polled the room as to who has reviewed this I-D, few
had.  The chairs noted that the document would not go to WGLC
until it received appropriate review.  Nico noted that apparent
consensus was for the "GSSAPI" (aka krb5) will not do rekeying,
but that a new doc to describe GSS family of mechanisms,
rolling in support for rekeying and reduced round-trips.
That is, draft-ietf-sasl-gssapi would detail on the "GSSAPI"
mechanism as implemented today.  The chairs noted that this new
document would not be taken on until the current drafts have
moved forward.

draft-ietf-sasl-crammd5 (CRAM-MD5)
The chairs polled the room as to who has reviewed this I-D, few
had.  The chairs, after determining that few in the room had
read the draft, would twist arms to get necessary review.  As
the Editor was unavailable, the I-D was not discussed further.

Milestones
The chairs lead a brief discussion of milestones.  The Chair
noted that another WGLC would likely be needed before progressing
draft-ietf-sasl-rfc2222bis, and before end of year.  Alexey
noted that he needs clear suggestions.

The chairs also noted that we will not commit resources to new
docs until existing ones are reviewed.

Other comments:

A question was raised about status of LOGIN mechanism.  The
chairs noted that engineering of this mechanism was not on the
charter and the mechanism was generally considered obsolete in
favor of the PLAIN mechanism.  However, the chairs did not that
individuals were free to pursue a LOGIN I-D and discuss it on
the WG list.

There was a brief exchange regarding generic GSS mech family vs
new non-GSS mechanisms.  The discussion was deferred.

Russ and the WG acknowledged Sam's service to the WG as co-chair.
The WG looks forward to working with Sam as our Security Area
Director.  Russ also noted that those interested in serving as
SASL co-chair are encouraged to contact him and/or Sam.

The session concluded at 1630.