Subject: SASL profile for NNTP

From: Ken Murchison <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 May 2005 15:09:40 -0400

I am a co-author of the I-D specifying the SASL profile for NNTP, which 
I have kept up to date with the current protocol profile guidelines 
specified in RFC 2222bis.  I was asked by the NNTPEXT Chair to get some 
feedback on the importance of two of the normative references in that 
draft.  I am currently referencing RFC 2222bis and RFC 2831bis (as a 
mandatory to implement mechanism), but neither of these is currently in 
last call, and the chair doesn't want to block the NNTP SASL profile 
(and the NNTP update draft as a result), if we don't have to.

AFAICT, the two major changes in these docs which might be worth 
blocking on are the discussion of SASLprep in RFC 2222bis and the 
deprecation of 3DES in RFC 2831bis.

So my question to the group is, do people feel that there are technical 
reasons why we *should* block on these updated SASL docs, or can we just 
use the existing RFCs as normative references?

As a member of both WG, I'd like to wait for these updates (provided 
they get to Last Call soon), but I'll go with whatever the consensus is 
here.

Thanks,
Ken
-- 
Kenneth Murchison     Oceana Matrix Ltd.
Software Engineer     21 Princeton Place
716-662-8973 x26      Orchard Park, NY 14127
--PGP Public Key--    http://www.oceana.com/~ken/ksm.pgp