Subject: IETF69 SASL WG summary
From: Tom Yu <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2007 01:02:07 -0400
List-Id: <ietf-sasl.imc.org>

SASL WG
Wednesday, July 25, 2007, at 09:00-11:30

SUMMARY
=======

Thanks to Tony Hansen for scribing.

Document Status:

draft-ietf-sasl-crammd5-08	- needs writeup
draft-ietf-sasl-gs2-08		- needs publication request
draft-ietf-sasl-rfc2831bis-12	- needs document to designate as Historic
draft-cridland-sasl-hexa-00	- to merge with SCRAM
draft-newman-auth-scram-04	- to merge with HEXA
draft-zeilenga-sasl-yap-00	- probably to proceed as individual submission

Charter Discussion:

There is general agreement for charter as posted to list.  Add item
for document moving DIGEST-MD5 to Historic status.  We will poll WG
list on updated charter proposal.

Persue YAP as experimental or not?

As an individual, Sam would like SCRAM/HEXA to be implementable as a
GSS-API mechanism.  He would like to see the WG commit to this.  Needs
both GSS and SASL people to look at it to ensure it's sane from each
perspective.  Chris Newman, Nico Williams will help review this
aspect.

Milestones:

Document for moving DIGEST-MD5 to Historic - Alexey

Aug 2007:	-00 version
Sep 2007:	WGLC
Nov 2007:	to IESG

Implementation Report

Oct 2007:	initial implementation report questionnaire
Jan 2008:	send out questionnaire
Feb 2008:	compile results
Mar 2008:	discuss results
Apr 2008:	prepare final report & submit [also submit 4422bis]

rfc4422bis

Oct 2007:	-00 rev rfc4422 acap ref etc. correction - Kurt
Feb 2008:	WGLC 4422bis
Apr 2008:	submit 4422bis

SCRAM/HEXA

oct 2007:	-00 for combined HEXA/SCRAM
feb 2008:	WGLC HEXA/SCRAM
apr 2008:	combined HEXA/SCRAM to IESG

To: [email-masked]
Subject: proposed charter revision
From: Tom Yu <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2007 20:02:07 -0400
Lines: 40
Sender: [email-masked]

I propose the following draft charter for rechartering the working
group.  This represents my understanding of the direction the WG
wants.  We will discuss this during the WG session tomorrow morning.
I omitted specific milestones, because I think it will be more
productive to propose them during the WG session.

====================

Description of Working Group:

The Simple Authentication and Security Layer [RFC4422] provides key
security services to a number of application protocols including BEEP,
IMAP, LDAP, POP, and SMTP. The purpose of this working group is to
shepherd SASL, including select SASL mechanisms, through the Internet
Standards process.

This group will work to progress the SASL Technical Specification
toward Draft Standard.

This group will deliver a Technical Specification for a password-based
SASL mechanism to replace DIGEST-MD5.  In particular, this
specification will not transmit plaintext passwords (even if
encrypted), but will require less infrastructure than typical GSS-API
mechanisms.

This group will deliver a revised Technical Specification suitable for
publication as Proposed Standard for the GSS-API family of SASL
mechanisms. This work will be based upon draft-ietf-sasl-gs2.

The following areas are not within the scope of work of this WG:

- new features,

- SASL Mechanisms not specifically mentioned above, and

- SASL "profiles".

However, the SASL WG is an acceptable forum for review of SASL-related
submissions produced by others as long as such review does not impede
progress on the WG objectives listed above.