Subject: [SAVA] general observations

From: pekkas at netcore.fi (Pekka Savola)
Date: Tue Mar 6 22:21:45 2007

Hi,

Having read the I-Ds, BOF agenda and proposed charter, I'd suggest 
that instead of creating a 'framework effort' to look at the problem 
at different places in the network (access, intra-AS, inter-AS), you 
should focus on just one specific issue only.  Having a 'framework 
effort' creates unnecessary overhead and prevents better focusing on 
the most pressing problems.

Specifically, access network solutions already exist (IP/MAC/port 
bindings in Ethernet switches in 'strict mode', uRPF in 'loose mode') 
and it's likely that no standardization is necessary.  Intra-ISP 
scenarios may apply various flavours of uRPF.

That leaves only inter-domain which is the real problem here.  I'd 
personally focus only in inter-domain between ISPs.  (There are some 
potential problems with inter-domain between an ISP and an edge 
network if the edge network is using multiple IP address blocks, one 
from each ISP it connects to.  I'd like to avoid that problem space 
here though.)

Also, I'd suggest considering dropping the language relating to 
autonomous systems from the terminology.  Whether a network has an AS 
number doesn't have much relevance for example when you consider 
multihoming customers.  In either case they'll need to be treated 
similarly.

-- 
Pekka Savola                 "You each name yourselves king, yet the
Netcore Oy                    kingdom bleeds."
Systems. Networks. Security. -- George R.R. Martin: A Clash of Kings

---

From: jari.arkko at piuha.net (Jari Arkko)
Date: Mon Mar 19 00:00:33 2007

Hi Pekka,
> multihoming customers.  In either case they'll need to be treated

This would make sense to me. What do others think?

Jari