Subject: [SAVA] SAVA problem statement comments

From: fergdawg at netzero.net (Fergie)
Date: Mon Mar 19 18:47:03 2007

-- Pekka Savola <[email-masked]> wrote:

>It's clear that BCP38 was not designed with inter-ISP in mind.  The 
real question, however, is what work is there to be done at 
non-inter-ISP scenarios?
>
>I certainly can't see much potential work items for subnet spoofing 
prevention or intra-ISP; we already have BCP38, BCP84, IP/MAC/port 
locking, etc.  Spinning up a WG to work on intra-ISP or subnet 
scenarios is unlikely to help if we can't even identify the initial 
work items.
>
>My take is that we already have adequate solutions for intra/subnet 
scenarios out there which just need better deployment.  (Documenting 
the 'roadmap' of these already existing solutions could also be done, 
but spinning up a WG to do so doesn't seem to be worth the effort.)
>
>Unless we can identify before a WG would be chartered which protocol 
work is needed in intra-ISP/subnet scenarios, we're left with 
inter-ISP; that's where we already have a large number of proposed 
(from research world) solutions.  We can debate whether those 
solutions are feasible and useful from the IETF perspective.

I'd say let's see what comes up at the BoF and go from there. :-)

- ferg

--
"Fergie", a.k.a. Paul Ferguson
 Engineering Architecture for the Internet
 fergdawg(at)netzero.net
 ferg's tech blog: http://fergdawg.blogspot.com/