Subject: [SAVA] SAVA and Multihoming

From: denghui02 at gmail.com (Hui Deng)
Date: Thu, 31 May 2007 12:38:48 +0800

Hello? all

based on the discussion with Ferg of the below,
I also put down this draft as the reference for this bof,
many thanks

-Hui

Hui,

I think these should be worked on, refined, and submitted on their own.

The original SAVA "problem statement" draft is just making the case
for why SAVA needs to be done, not in addressing other problems that
it will have to address along the way. :-)

That's why I think they need to be separate drafts.

If you agree, please forward these to the mailing list for comment,
along my remarks (if you would like to do so).

Thanks!

- - ferg

SAVA BoF                                                         H. Deng
Internet-Draft                                                   Hitachi
Intended status: Standards Track                            May 28, 2007
Expires: November 29, 2007

                  Problem Statement for SAVA Multihome
          draft-deng-sava-multihoming-problem-statement-00.txt

Status of this Memo

   By submitting this Internet-Draft, each author represents that any
   applicable patent or other IPR claims of which he or she is aware
   have been or will be disclosed, and any of which he or she becomes
   aware will be disclosed, in accordance with Section 6 of BCP 79.

   Internet-Drafts are working documents of the Internet Engineering
   Task Force (IETF), its areas, and its working groups.  Note that
   other groups may also distribute working documents as Internet-
   Drafts.

   Internet-Drafts are draft documents valid for a maximum of six months
   and may be updated, replaced, or obsoleted by other documents at any
   time.  It is inappropriate to use Internet-Drafts as reference
   material or to cite them other than as "work in progress."

   The list of current Internet-Drafts can be accessed at
   http://www.ietf.org/ietf/1id-abstracts.txt.

   The list of Internet-Draft Shadow Directories can be accessed at
   http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html.

   This Internet-Draft will expire on November 29, 2007.

Copyright Notice

   Copyright (C) The IETF Trust (2007).

Deng                    Expires November 29, 2007               [Page 1]

Internet-Draft      SAVA Multihome Problem Statement            May 2007

Abstract

   This document specifies the problems for the SAVA (Source Address
   Verification Architecture) regarding to multihoming issue.  The
   packets coming from the multihoming location may have two different
   AS numbers, this will be a issue for inter-domain source address
   verification.

Table of Contents

   1.  Introduction . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  3
   2.  Terminology  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  4
   3.  Problems about Multihoming in the Inter-domain SAVA
       architecture . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  5
   4.  Security Considerations  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  7
   5.  IANA Considerations  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  8
   6.  References . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  9
     6.1.  Normative References . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  9
     6.2.  Informative References . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  9
   Author's Address . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 10
   Intellectual Property and Copyright Statements . . . . . . . . . . 11

Deng                    Expires November 29, 2007               [Page 2]

Internet-Draft      SAVA Multihome Problem Statement            May 2007

1.  Introduction

   In the current SAVA BOF proposal[SAVA-FRAMEWORK], the architecture
   has been categorized into three type of defense: access network,
   intra-domain, and inter-domain.  When a host is located in
   multihoming scenario, the packet coming from this host may go through
   two different network access providers.  In this case, the AS number
   with this host may have two.  And current SAVA only assume the packet
   coming from one AS number.

   This document defines a problem with inter-domain SAVA about
   multihoming issue.

Deng                    Expires November 29, 2007               [Page 3]

Internet-Draft      SAVA Multihome Problem Statement            May 2007

2.  Terminology

   It is assumed that the reader is familiar with the terminology used
   in [RFC1654], [RFC2827].  In addition, the following terms are
   defined:

   The keywords "MUST", "MUST NOT", "REQUIRED", "SHALL", "SHALL NOT",
   "SHOULD", "SHOULD NOT", "RECOMMENDED", "MAY", and "OPTIONAL" in this
   document are to be interpreted as described in BCP 14, [RFC2119].

Deng                    Expires November 29, 2007               [Page 4]

Internet-Draft      SAVA Multihome Problem Statement            May 2007

3.  Problems about Multihoming in the Inter-domain SAVA architecture

   A multihoming host in SAVA network architecture may have two AS
   numbers which may conflict with SAVA inter-domain solution.

   In this network architecutre, as the Figure 1, the host A have two
   network access connnection: ISP 1 which has network prefix a.b.c.0/24
   and ISP 2 which has network prefix d.e.f.0/24, if host A follow the
   case of load balance which could enhance multihoming service. the
   packet from host A could go through left side router which is SAVA
   supported and the other router which is SAVA supported too, but the
   top BGP router will find that packet will have two type AS number
   label but come from the same network address host A. SAVA may discard
   the packet where come late than previous and think it is a kind of
   malicuous attack

                                +----------+
                                | Provider |
                                |          |
                                |m.n.o.0/24|
                                +----------+
                                     |
                                     |
                            +----------+
                            |BGP Router|
                   +--------|(SAVA     |--------+
                   |        | Support) |        |
                   |AS x    +----------+        |AS y
                   |                            |
             +----------+                +----------+
             |BGP Router|                |BGP Router|
             |(SAVA     |                | (SAVA    |
             | Support) |                | Support) |
             +----------+                +----------+
                   |                            |
                   |                            |
             +----------+                +----------+
             | ISP 1    |                |  ISP 2   |
             | Network  |                | Network  |
             |a.b.c.0/24|                |d.e.f.0/24|
             +----------+                +----------+
                   |                            |
                   |       +-----------+        |
                   |       |   Host A  |        |
                   +-------|           |--------+
                           |Multihoming|
                           +-----------+

Deng                    Expires November 29, 2007               [Page 5]

Internet-Draft      SAVA Multihome Problem Statement            May 2007

     Figure 1: SAVA Inter-domain Network Architecture for Multihoming

Deng                    Expires November 29, 2007               [Page 6]

Internet-Draft      SAVA Multihome Problem Statement            May 2007

4.  Security Considerations

   This specification operates in the security constraints and
   requirements of about some events and provides the same level of
   security for all three nodes.

Deng                    Expires November 29, 2007               [Page 7]

Internet-Draft      SAVA Multihome Problem Statement            May 2007

5.  IANA Considerations

   This document provides the problem description for an Inter-domain
   SAVA network architecture, BGP based routing protocol

Deng                    Expires November 29, 2007               [Page 8]

Internet-Draft      SAVA Multihome Problem Statement            May 2007

6.  References

6.1.  Normative References

   [RFC1654]  Rekhter, Y. and T. Li, "A Border Gateway Protocol 4
              (BGP-4)", RFC 1654, July 1994.

   [RFC2119]  Bradner, S., "Key words for use in RFCs to Indicate
              Requirement Levels", BCP 14, RFC 2119, March 1997.

   [RFC2827]  Ferguson, P. and D. Senie, "Network Ingress Filtering:
              Defeating Denial of Service Attacks which employ IP Source
              Address Spoofing", BCP 38, RFC 2827, May 2000.

   [RFC3871]  Jones, G., "Operational Security Requirements for Large
              Internet Service Provider (ISP) IP Network
              Infrastructure", RFC 3871, September 2004.

6.2.  Informative References

   [SAVA-E2E]
              Wu, JP., "A End-to-end Source Address Validation Solution
              for IPv6", Feb 2007,
              <draft-wu-sava-solution-e2e-ipv6-00(work in progress)>.

   [SAVA-FRAMEWORK]
              Wu, JP., "Source Address Validation Architecture (SAVA)
              Framework", Feb 2007, <draft-wu-sava-framework-00(work in
              progress)>.

   [SAVA-PS]  Wu, JP., "Source Address Validation Architecture Problem
              Statement", Feb 2007,
              <draft-sava-problem-statement-00(work in progress)>.

   [SAVA-SIMPLE]
              Baker, F., "Simple Source Address Validation", March 2007,
              <draft-baker-sava-simple-00(work in progress)>.

   [SAVA-TESTBED]
              Wu, JP., "SAVA Testbed and Experiences to Date", Feb 2007,
              <draft-wu-sava-testbed-experience-00(work in progress)>.

Deng                    Expires November 29, 2007               [Page 9]

Internet-Draft      SAVA Multihome Problem Statement            May 2007

Author's Address

   Hui Deng
   Hitachi
   301, North Building, Tower C, Raycom Infotech Park,
   2, Kexueyuan Nanlu
   Hai Dian District
   Beijing  100080
   China

   Email: hdeng at hitachi.cn