Subject: [SAVA] SAVA and Mobile IP

From: denghui02 at gmail.com (Hui Deng)
Date: Thu, 31 May 2007 12:37:06 +0800

Hello? all

based on the discussion with Ferg of the below,
I also put down this draft as the reference for this bof,
many thanks

-Hui

Hui,

I think these should be worked on, refined, and submitted on their own.

The original SAVA "problem statement" draft is just making the case
for why SAVA needs to be done, not in addressing other problems that
it will have to address along the way. :-)

That's why I think they need to be separate drafts.

If you agree, please forward these to the mailing list for comment,
along my remarks (if you would like to do so).

Thanks!

- - ferg

SAVA BoF                                                         H. Deng
Internet-Draft                                                   Hitachi
Intended status: Standards Track                            May 30, 2007
Expires: December 1, 2007

                  Problem Statement for SAVA Mobile IP
           draft-deng-sava-mobileip-problem-statement-00.txt

Status of this Memo

   By submitting this Internet-Draft, each author represents that any
   applicable patent or other IPR claims of which he or she is aware
   have been or will be disclosed, and any of which he or she becomes
   aware will be disclosed, in accordance with Section 6 of BCP 79.

   Internet-Drafts are working documents of the Internet Engineering
   Task Force (IETF), its areas, and its working groups.  Note that
   other groups may also distribute working documents as Internet-
   Drafts.

   Internet-Drafts are draft documents valid for a maximum of six months
   and may be updated, replaced, or obsoleted by other documents at any
   time.  It is inappropriate to use Internet-Drafts as reference
   material or to cite them other than as "work in progress."

   The list of current Internet-Drafts can be accessed at
   http://www.ietf.org/ietf/1id-abstracts.txt.

   The list of Internet-Draft Shadow Directories can be accessed at
   http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html.

   This Internet-Draft will expire on December 1, 2007.

Copyright Notice

   Copyright (C) The IETF Trust (2007).

Deng                    Expires December 1, 2007                [Page 1]

Internet-Draft      SAVA Multihome Problem Statement            May 2007

Abstract

   This document specifies the problems for the SAVA (Source Address
   Verification Architecture) regarding to mobile IP issue.  There are
   still some issues in respect of Mobile IPv4 Foreign Agent Care of
   Address mode, and Mobile IPv6 home adress destination option and type
   2 routing header.

Table of Contents

   1.  Introduction . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  3
   2.  Terminology  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  4
   3.  Problems about Mobile IPv4 Foreign Agent Care of Address
       Model  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  5
   4.  Problems about Mobile IPv6 Destination Option and Type 2
       Routing Header . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  7
   5.  Security Considerations  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  9
   6.  IANA Considerations  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 10
   7.  References . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 11
     7.1.  Normative References . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 11
     7.2.  Informative References . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 11
   Author's Address . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 13
   Intellectual Property and Copyright Statements . . . . . . . . . . 14

Deng                    Expires December 1, 2007                [Page 2]

Internet-Draft      SAVA Multihome Problem Statement            May 2007

1.  Introduction

   In the current SAVA BOF proposal[SAVA-FRAMEWORK], the architecture
   has been categorized into three type of defense: "First-hop, local
   subnet source validation", "Intra-AS Communication of SAVA
   validation", and "Inter-AS Communication of SAVA validation."

   In the current Mobile IPv4 [RFC3344]specification, during the mobile
   Foreign Agent Care of Address model, reverse tunneling based
   mechanism could be used in case of ingress filtering[RFC2827], but it
   will constraint application where foreign agent could forward packet
   directly.

   When routing packets directly to the mobile node, the correspondent
   node sets the Destination Address in the IPv6 header to the care-of
   address of the mobile node.  A new type of IPv6 routing header
   [RFC3775] is also added to the packet to carry the desired home
   address.  Similarly, the mobile node sets the Source Address in the
   packet's IPv6 header to its current care-of addresses.  The mobile
   node adds a new IPv6 "Home Address" destination option to carry its
   home address.  The inclusion of home addresses in these packets makes
   the use of the care-of address transparent above the network layer.

   When the mobile node sends packets directly to the correspondent
   node, the Source Address field of the packet's IPv6 header is the
   care-of address.  Therefore, ingress filtering works in the usual
   manner even for mobile nodes, as the Source Address is topologically
   correct. which is intended for ingress filter during access network.
   The Home Address option is used to inform the correspondent node of
   the mobile node's home address.

   This document defines a problem with SAVA related to Mobile IP.

Deng                    Expires December 1, 2007                [Page 3]

Internet-Draft      SAVA Multihome Problem Statement            May 2007

2.  Terminology

   It is assumed that the reader is familiar with the terminology used
   in [RFC1654], [RFC2827].  In addition, the following terms are
   defined:

   The keywords "MUST", "MUST NOT", "REQUIRED", "SHALL", "SHALL NOT",
   "SHOULD", "SHOULD NOT", "RECOMMENDED", "MAY", and "OPTIONAL" in this
   document are to be interpreted as described in BCP 14, [RFC2119].

Deng                    Expires December 1, 2007                [Page 4]

Internet-Draft      SAVA Multihome Problem Statement            May 2007

3.  Problems about Mobile IPv4 Foreign Agent Care of Address Model

   Many routers implement security policies such as "ingress filtering"
   that do not allow forwarding of packets that have a Source Address
   which appears topologically incorrect.  Current Mobile IPv4 support
   reverse tunneling [RFC3024] with the foreign agent supplied care-of
   address as the Source Address. but it will lead to all traffice have
   to go through the home agent even foreign agent is location far away
   from home agent,

   In this network architecutre, as the Figure 1, if the Host A MN want
   to communicate with Host B CN, if there is no ingress filter after
   foreign agent, and if Mobile IPv4 Foreign Agent Care of Address mode
   is adopted, source address of packets initiated from mobile node will
   be mobilde node's source address, but if ingress filter is supported
   in the router after foreign agent, then source address is mobile
   node's home address, but it will distort the network architecutre.
   Mobile IPv4 adopt reverse tunneling [RFC3024] to support tunneling
   between foreign agent and home agent which source address is care of
   address.

Deng                    Expires December 1, 2007                [Page 5]

Internet-Draft      SAVA Multihome Problem Statement            May 2007

             +----------+                +----------+
             |Home      |                |  Host B  |
             |Agent     |                |    CN    |
             |          |                |          |
             +----------+                +----------+
          reverse ||                          |
        tunneling ||                          |
             +----------+                +----------+
             |          |                |          |
             |  Router  |                |  Router  |
             |          |                |          |
             +----------+                +----------+
                  ||                           |
                  |+-----------+---------------+
                  +----------- |
                              ||
                              ||
                              ||
                         +----------+
                         |Routers   |
                         |(ingress  |
                         | filter)  |
                         +----------+
                              ||
                              ||
                         +----------+
                         | Foreign  |
                         | Agent    |
                         |  MIP4    |
                         +----------+
                               |
                         +-----------+
                         | Host A    |
                         |    MN     |
                         |Mobile IP  |
                         +-----------+

           Figure 1: MIP4 FA CoA mode in case of ingress filter

Deng                    Expires December 1, 2007                [Page 6]

Internet-Draft      SAVA Multihome Problem Statement            May 2007

4.  Problems about Mobile IPv6 Destination Option and Type 2 Routing
    Header

   When routing packets directly to the mobile node, the correspondent
   node sets the Destination Address in the IPv6 header to the care-of
   address of the mobile node.  A new type of IPv6 routing header
   [RFC3775] is also added to the packet to carry the desired home
   address.  Similarly, the mobile node sets the Source Address in the
   packet's IPv6 header to its current care-of addresses.  The mobile
   node adds a new IPv6 "Home Address" destination option to carry its
   home address.  The inclusion of home addresses in these packets makes
   the use of the care-of address transparent above the network layer.

   When the mobile node sends packets directly to the correspondent
   node, the Source Address field of the packet's IPv6 header is the
   care-of address.  Therefore, ingress filtering works in the usual
   manner even for mobile nodes, as the Source Address is topologically
   correct. which is intended for ingress filter during access network.
   The Home Address option is used to inform the correspondent node of
   the mobile node's home address.

   In this network architecutre, as the Figure 2, if care of address
   mobile node is not belong to SAVA alliance, but home address of
   mobile node is belong to SAVA Alliance, this packet will be discarded
   based on SAVA policy, but network operator may not expect this
   happen, they also expect that mobile node where home address is
   belong to alliance still could visit Host B. even .

Deng                    Expires December 1, 2007                [Page 7]

Internet-Draft      SAVA Multihome Problem Statement            May 2007

             +----------+                +----------+
             |Home      |                |  Host B  |
             |Agent     |                |    CN    |
             |          |                |          |
             +----------+                +----------+
                  |                          |
                  |                          |
             +----------+                +----------+
             |BGP Router|                |BGP Router|
             |(SAVA     |                | (SAVA    |
             | Support) |                | Support) |
             +----------+                +----------+
                  | AS=y                         |
                  |                          |
                  +-----------+--------------+
                              |AS=x
                         +----------+
                         |BGP Router|
                         |(SAVA not |
                         | Support) |
                         +----------+
                              |
                              |
                         +-----------+
                         | Host A    |
                         |    MN     |
                         |Mobile IPv6|
                         +-----------+

                    Figure 2: MIP6 network in the SAVA

Deng                    Expires December 1, 2007                [Page 8]

Internet-Draft      SAVA Multihome Problem Statement            May 2007

5.  Security Considerations

   This specification operates in the security constraints and
   requirements of about some events and provides the same level of
   security for all three nodes.

Deng                    Expires December 1, 2007                [Page 9]

Internet-Draft      SAVA Multihome Problem Statement            May 2007

6.  IANA Considerations

   This document provides the problem description for an Mobile IP usage
   in SAVA network architecture, BGP based routing protocol

Deng                    Expires December 1, 2007               [Page 10]

Internet-Draft      SAVA Multihome Problem Statement            May 2007

7.  References

7.1.  Normative References

   [RFC1654]  Rekhter, Y. and T. Li, "A Border Gateway Protocol 4
              (BGP-4)", RFC 1654, July 1994.

   [RFC2119]  Bradner, S., "Key words for use in RFCs to Indicate
              Requirement Levels", BCP 14, RFC 2119, March 1997.

   [RFC2827]  Ferguson, P. and D. Senie, "Network Ingress Filtering:
              Defeating Denial of Service Attacks which employ IP Source
              Address Spoofing", BCP 38, RFC 2827, May 2000.

   [RFC3024]  Montenegro, G., "Reverse Tunneling for Mobile IP,
              revised", RFC 3024, January 2001.

   [RFC3344]  Perkins, C., "IP Mobility Support for IPv4", RFC 3344,
              August 2002.

   [RFC3775]  Johnson, D., Perkins, C., and J. Arkko, "Mobility Support
              in IPv6", RFC 3775, June 2004.

   [RFC3871]  Jones, G., "Operational Security Requirements for Large
              Internet Service Provider (ISP) IP Network
              Infrastructure", RFC 3871, September 2004.

7.2.  Informative References

   [SAVA-E2E]
              Wu, JP., "A End-to-end Source Address Validation Solution
              for IPv6", Feb 2007,
              <draft-wu-sava-solution-e2e-ipv6-00(work in progress)>.

   [SAVA-FRAMEWORK]
              Wu, JP., "Source Address Validation Architecture (SAVA)
              Framework", Feb 2007, <draft-wu-sava-framework-00(work in
              progress)>.

   [SAVA-PS]  Wu, JP., "Source Address Validation Architecture Problem
              Statement", Feb 2007,
              <draft-sava-problem-statement-00(work in progress)>.

   [SAVA-SIMPLE]
              Baker, F., "Simple Source Address Validation", March 2007,
              <draft-baker-sava-simple-00(work in progress)>.

   [SAVA-TESTBED]

Deng                    Expires December 1, 2007               [Page 11]

Internet-Draft      SAVA Multihome Problem Statement            May 2007

              Wu, JP., "SAVA Testbed and Experiences to Date", Feb 2007,
              <draft-wu-sava-testbed-experience-00(work in progress)>.

Deng                    Expires December 1, 2007               [Page 12]

Internet-Draft      SAVA Multihome Problem Statement            May 2007

Author's Address

   Hui Deng
   Hitachi
   301, North Building, Tower C, Raycom Infotech Park,
   2, Kexueyuan Nanlu
   Hai Dian District
   Beijing  100080
   China

   Email: hdeng at hitachi.cn