Subject: [savi] [Editorial Errata Reported] RFC6620 (3926)

From: RFC Errata System <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2014 03:51:53 -0700 (PDT)

The following errata report has been submitted for RFC6620,
"FCFS SAVI: First-Come, First-Served Source Address Validation Improvement for Locally Assigned IPv6 Addresses".

--------------------------------------
You may review the report below and at:
http://www.rfc-editor.org/errata_search.php?rfc=6620&eid=3926

--------------------------------------
Type: Editorial
Reported by: Leaf Yeh <[email-masked]>

Section: 3.2.3

Original Text
-------------
   +---------+  VP_NS, VP_DATA/2xNS                    +-----------+
   |         |---------------------------------------->|           |
   | NO_BIND |                                         | TENTATIVE |
   |         |<----------------------------------------|           |
   +---------+                    TP_NA, TP_NS/-       +-----------+
          ^                                                |
          |                                                | TimeOut
   Timeout|                                                |
          |                                                v
   +---------+  VP_NA/-                                +-----------+
   |         |---------------------------------------->|           |
   | TESTING |                                TP_NS/-  |           |
   |  TP-LT  |<----------------------------------------|   VALID   |
   |         |                           TimeOut/2xNS  |           |
   |         |<----------------------------------------|           |
   +---------+                                         +-----------+
     ^   |                                                ^    |
     |   |                                                |    |
     |   +---------------------      ---------------------+    |
     |       VP_NS/-          |     |  NP_NA, TimeOut/-        |
     |                        v     |                          |
     |                     +-----------+                       |
     |                     |           |                       |
     +---------------------|  TESTING  |<----------------------+
          VP_NS, VP_DATA/- |    VP     |  VP_DATA, VP_NS,
                           +-----------+  VP_NA/2xNS

                    Figure 2: Simplified State Machine

Corrected Text
--------------
   +---------+  VP_NS, VP_DATA/2xNS                    +-----------+
   |         |---------------------------------------->|           |
   | NO_BIND |                                         | TENTATIVE |
   |         |<----------------------------------------|           |
   +---------+                    TP_NA, TP_NS/-       +-----------+
          ^                                                |
          |                                                | TimeOut
   Timeout|                                                |
          |                                                v
   +---------+  VP_NA/-                                +-----------+
   |         |---------------------------------------->|           |
   | TESTING |                                TP_NS/-  |           |
   |  TP-LT  |<----------------------------------------|   VALID   |
   |         |                           TimeOut/2xNS  |           |
   |         |<----------------------------------------|           |
   +---------+                                         +-----------+
     ^   |                                                ^    |
     |   |                                                |    |
     |   +---------------------      ---------------------+    |
     |       VP_NS/-          |     |  VP_NA, TimeOut/-        |
     |                        v     |                          |
     |                     +-----------+                       |
     |                     |           |                       |
     +---------------------|  TESTING  |<----------------------+
          TP_NS, TP_DATA/- |    VP     |  VP_DATA, VP_NS,
                           +-----------+  VP_NA/2xNS

                    Figure 2: Simplified State Machine

Notes
-----
a. According to the description on the state machine at page 19,

 <quote>
o  If an NA message containing the IPAddr as the Target Address is
      received through the Validating Port P as a reply to the DAD_NS
      message, then the NA is forwarded as usual and the state is
      changed to VALID.  The LIFETIME is set to DEFAULT_LT.
 </quote>

the state change from TESTING_VP  to VALID should be triggered by the  VP_NA (NA message containing the IPAddr as the Target Address is received through the Validating Port).

b. According to the description on the state machine at page 19,

 <quote>
   o  If a data packet containing IPAddr as the source address is
      received through a Trusted Port (i.e., other than port P), the
      state is moved to TESTING_TP-LT, and the packet MAY be discarded.

   o  If a DAD_NS is received through a Trusted Port, the packet is
      forwarded as usual, and the state is moved to TESTING_TP-LT.
 </quote>

the state change from TESTING_VP  to TESTING_TP-LT should be triggered by the TP_DATA (data packet containing IPAddr as the source address received through a Trusted Port), or by the TP_NS (DAD_NS is received through a Trusted Port).

Instructions:
-------------
This errata is currently posted as "Reported". If necessary, please
use "Reply All" to discuss whether it should be verified or
rejected. When a decision is reached, the verifying party (IESG)
can log in to change the status and edit the report, if necessary. 

--------------------------------------
RFC6620 (draft-ietf-savi-fcfs-14)
--------------------------------------
Title               : FCFS SAVI: First-Come, First-Served Source Address Validation Improvement for Locally Assigned IPv6 Addresses
Publication Date    : May 2012
Author(s)           : E. Nordmark, M. Bagnulo, E. Levy-Abegnoli
Category            : PROPOSED STANDARD
Source              : Source Address Validation Improvements
Area                : Internet
Stream              : IETF
Verifying Party     : IESG

---

From: Ted Lemon <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2014 08:37:04 -0400

Leaf, I can't tell from this report what it is that you think is wrong, nor why it is wrong.   It looks like you made a change in the lower left corner of the state diagram.   Can you explain what the problem is?

---

From: "Leaf Yeh" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 22 Mar 2014 19:42:32 +0800

Ted- Leaf, I can't tell from this report what it is that you think is wrong,
nor why it is wrong.   It looks like you made a change in the lower left
corner of the state diagram.   Can you explain what the problem is?

Could we ask the input from the authors of RFC 6620 or the input from
SAVI-WG on this reported Errata?

It make 2 revisions on the Fig.2 per the description in Page 19 of RFC 6620.

One is for 'NP_NA' message between the state of 'TESTING_VP' and 'Valid'. I
suppose we can't find the definition of this message in the RFC.
The other is for 'VP_NS, VP_DATA' messages between the state of 'TESTING_VP'
and 'TESTING_TP-LT'. I believe they are 'TP_NS, TP_DATA '.

Notes in the Errata show you the reasons I inputted.

Best Regards,
Leaf

-----Original Message-----
From: Ted Lemon [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Friday, March 21, 2014 8:37 PM
To: RFC Errata System
Cc: [email-masked]; [email-masked]; [email-masked]; Brian
Haberman; [email-masked]; [email-masked]; [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [Editorial Errata Reported] RFC6620 (3926)

Leaf, I can't tell from this report what it is that you think is wrong, nor
why it is wrong.   It looks like you made a change in the lower left corner
of the state diagram.   Can you explain what the problem is?

---

From: Ted Lemon <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2014 10:05:23 -0500

> SAVI-WG on this reported Errata?

Could the authors please work with Leaf to figure out if this erratum is correct?   I do not have time to wade deeply enough into the document to either accept or reject it on my own at the moment.

Thanks!