Subject: Re: [scap_interest] scap_interest Digest, Vol 5, Issue 19

From: "Oliva, Ruben [USA]" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2012 14:25:33 +0000

To all:

Kent brings up a good point.

Validation does not equate to interoperability.

How does the community feel about an SCAP interoperability testing function?

David Oliva

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of [email-masked]
Sent: Thursday, February 16, 2012 1:00 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: scap_interest Digest, Vol 5, Issue 19

If you have received this digest without all the individual message attachments you will need to update your digest options in your list subscription.  To do so, go to 

https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/scap_interest

Click the 'Unsubscribe or edit options' button, log in, and set "Get MIME or Plain Text Digests?" to MIME.  You can set this option globally for all the list digests you receive at this point.

Send scap_interest mailing list submissions to
	[email-masked]

To subscribe or unsubscribe via the World Wide Web, visit
	https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/scap_interest
or, via email, send a message with subject or body 'help' to
	[email-masked]

You can reach the person managing the list at
	[email-masked]

When replying, please edit your Subject line so it is more specific than "Re: Contents of scap_interest digest..."

---

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2012 10:28:21 -0500

Hello, Rubin, Kent, all,

I think interoperability testing is an important aspect of the standardization process.  It helps us prove out the specifications are well written (or that they require changes) which enables new vendors or implementers to code against the same specification and expect an interoperable implementation. 

This is important at each stage, from supporting data formats to the ability to uniformly exchanging those formats with interpretable controls and expected messaging patterns/flows.  The specifications for the data formats should go beyond schemas to cover error handling and other requirements for developers to enable interoperable solution development.  When you move to transport and APIs for exchanges, this becomes more critical if we want to evolve the ability to support the ecosystem of data format specifications.  Products and use of these specifications can diverge by adding value in areas like data analysis and how exchanged data sets may be leveraged.  

Thank you,
Kathleen  

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Oliva, Ruben [USA]
Sent: Friday, February 17, 2012 9:26 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [scap_interest] scap_interest Digest, Vol 5, Issue 19

To all:

David Oliva

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of [email-masked]
Sent: Thursday, February 16, 2012 1:00 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: scap_interest Digest, Vol 5, Issue 19

When replying, please edit your Subject line so it is more specific than "Re: Contents of scap_interest digest..."
_______________________________________________
scap_interest mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/scap_interest

---

From: Adam Montville <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2012 16:00:01 +0000

+1

On 2/17/12 7:28 AM, "[email-masked]"
<[email-masked]> wrote:

>Hello, Rubin, Kent, all,
>
>I think interoperability testing is an important aspect of the
>standardization process.  It helps us prove out the specifications are
>well written (or that they require changes) which enables new vendors or
>implementers to code against the same specification and expect an
>interoperable implementation.
>
>This is important at each stage, from supporting data formats to the
>ability to uniformly exchanging those formats with interpretable controls
>and expected messaging patterns/flows.  The specifications for the data
>formats should go beyond schemas to cover error handling and other
>requirements for developers to enable interoperable solution development.
> When you move to transport and APIs for exchanges, this becomes more
>critical if we want to evolve the ability to support the ecosystem of
>data format specifications.  Products and use of these specifications can
>diverge by adding value in areas like data analysis and how exchanged
>data sets may be leveraged.
>
>Thank you,
>Kathleen  
>
>From: [email-masked]
>[mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Oliva, Ruben [USA]
>From: [email-masked]
>[mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of
>If you have received this digest without all the individual message
>attachments you will need to update your digest options in your list
>subscription.  To do so, go to
>
>Click the 'Unsubscribe or edit options' button, log in, and set "Get MIME
>or Plain Text Digests?" to MIME.  You can set this option globally for
>all the list digests you receive at this point.
>
>
>
>When replying, please edit your Subject line so it is more specific than
>"Re: Contents of scap_interest digest..."