Subject: [Sdn] A new draft on an architecture for application-based network operations

From: "Daniel King" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 1 Dec 2012 23:05:42 -0000

Dear SDNrg,

Adrian and I posted an I-D which is a rather grandiose attempt to pull
together a number of existing architectural components (PCE, VNTM, I2RS,
policy, etc., etc.). This is a sort of meta-SDN PCE-based architect-thingy.
It needed a name, so we called it Application-Based Network Operations
(ABNO), warning it's not house trained and may answer to various other
names:

A PCE-based Architecture for Application-based Network Operations

http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-farrkingel-pce-abno-architecture-00

As some of you will know this is the result of numerous discussions we have
had with a number of people over the last three months.  Where pieces of the
puzzle seem to have been coagulating, we thought it might be nice to build a
framework in which the jelly (jello) can set. It is at a really early stage,
so we are convinced you will all throw stuff at us, but what the hell!

As it stands, the current draft includes:

- A brief description of abstraction functional components and the
interfaces between them. 

- An attempt to supply pointers to existing work (tool kit) where that may
be applicable and there are some use case examples to give a feel for how it
all works.

- Various ABNO use cases. 

A number of areas need further discussion, especially the use cases. We
decided to submit with the few we do have, in order to generate some
feedback - anyone who wants to supply use case(s) and text, would receive
hero status. 

We have pitched the document as a PCE working group document because PCE is
a central component, but the document doesn't really fall inside the PCE
charter. For the time being it might be best to send comments direct to us
rather than clutter up any WG mailing list with discussions that are outside
the charter (but if some WG chair wants to claim the work, then...)

Thanks,

Dan and Adrian