Subject: [Sdn] HotSDN 2013 - Call for Papers

From: David Meyer <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2013 10:32:48 -0800

[http://conferences.sigcomm.org/sigcomm/2013/hotsdn.php]

ACM SIGCOMM Workshop on Hot Topics in Software Defined Networking (HotSDN)
                    Co-located with ACM SIGCOMM'13
                          August 16th, 2013
                           Hong Kong, China

Introduction

Software defined networking (SDN) refactors the relationship between
network devices and the software that controls them. Opening up the
interfaces to programming network hardware enables more flexible and
predictable network control, and makes it easier to extend the network
with new functionality. In recent years, a number of vendors have
introduced development kits for programming their devices, and several
commercial switches now support the OpenFlow standard. Researchers
have proposed new applications that execute on top of a software
defined network, including dynamic access control, server load
balancing, energy-efficient networking, seamless client mobility, and
virtual-machine migration. And deployments of software defined
networks have appeared in experimental and production environments.

But despite the recent progress in this area, many important research
questions remain: How do we design switches and programming interfaces
that offer greater flexibility without compromising performance? How
do we design software platforms for managing software defined
networks? How do we design new applications that capitalize on the
programmability of the network? How do we lower the barrier to
creating, testing, and evaluating new applications? How do we
transition existing networks?  How can a software defined network
interoperate with existing protocols and devices?

The goal of the HotSDN workshop is to explore recent research and
developments related to software defined networks, to encourage broad
interaction between industry and academia, and to help build a wider
community to explore and realize the potential of software defined
networks.

Topics

We encourage submission of both position papers and work-in-progress
papers on software defined networking. We solicit previously
unpublished work on topics including, but not limited to the
following:

* Applications of software defined networking to home, wireless,
  cellular, enterprise, data-center, and backbone networks

* Applications of software defined networking to network management,
  monitoring, security, etc.

* Virtual appliances (e.g., firewalls, intrusion detection systems,
  load balancers, etc.) built using software-defined networks

* Virtualization in software defined networks

* Switch designs for software defined networks

* Application programming interfaces for software defined networks

* Control and management software for software defined networks

* Programming languages, verification techniques, and tools for
  software defined networks

* Performance evaluation of switches and controllers for software
  defined networks

* Experiences deploying software defined networking technology and
  applications in operational networks

* Hybrid software defined networking approaches

* Transitioning existing networks to software defined networking
* Placement and factoring of software defined networking control logic

* Distributed systems abstractions for managing switches and
  controllers in software defined networks

Submission Instructions

Each submission must be a single PDF file no longer than six (6) pages
in length (in two-column, 10-point format) including references,
following the alternate ACM SIG LaTeX style file. Papers should be
submitted electronically via the submission site:

  http://hotsdn2013.cs.cornell.edu

Papers must include the author name and affiliation for single-blind
peer reviewing by the program committee.

Accepted papers will be published in the ACM Digital
Library. Publication at HotSDN is not intended to preclude later
publication. Authors of accepted papers are expected to present their
papers at the workshop.

Important Dates

Abstract registration: March 18, 2013
Submissions due: March 25, 2013
Notification: April 29, 2013
Camera ready versions due: May 31, 2013
Workshop date: August 16, 2013

PC Co-chairs

Nate Foster (Cornell)
Rob Sherwood (Big Switch Networks)

PC Members

Aditya Akella (Wisconsin)
Marco Canini (TU Berlin & Telekom Innovation Laboratories)
Martin Cascado (VMware)
Matt Davy (Indiana)
Nick Feamster (Georgia Tech)
Anja Feldmann (TU Berlin & Telekom Innovation Laboratories)
Nate Foster (Cornell)
Yashar Ganjali (Toronto)
Brighten Godfrey (Illinois)
Nikhil Handigol (Stanford)
Brandon Heller (Stanford)
Sachin Katti (Stanford)
Eric Keller (Colorado)
Dejan Kostic (IMDEA Networks)
Anil Madhavapeddy (Cambridge)
Nick McKeown (Stanford)
David Meyer (Brocade)
Jennifer Rexford (Princeton)
Christian Esteve Rothenberg (CPqD & Unicamp)
Rob Sherwood (Big Switch)
Ruslan Smeliansky (Moscow State)
Dave Ward (Cisco)
Minlan Yu (USC)