Subject: [Sdn] Semantic Stnadardization

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2013 23:46:01 +0530 (IST)

We had Vint Cerf himself visit and talk to us today evening.
Amongst others, he highlighted to us Openflow and SDN allowing routing
based on  content in addition to headers.
 My immediate reaction was question that this being an antithesis to
standardization.....then Vint mentioned an example about routing based on
charactersitics of the data and routers selectively choosing to listen
(per my understanding of what Vint said, not certain i got it entirely.)
 Could we say that the conventional protocols are more leaning towards
syntactic standardization (Bits in header fields have tightly defined
ranges and constructs).
 Has Semantic standardization, pattern matching been done before at
IETF/IRTF?
Any relationship to Ontologies?
 ARe the implications to correctness, convergence, routing loops and such
of algorithms in this context been formally studied?
 Would it make sense to start halfway and have two header components, one
decided by the protocol and the other header components contents decided
by the application itself (this will form a special part of the data).
yet this part of the data being in a well defined restricted area of the
data..is this beginning to look like optical network framing where frame
at one layer is data for the other? Combine this with NMS based routing,
(decoupled control of SDN) SDN is beginning to get a lot of the
charactersitics of Optical then?
Sitaraman

-- 
This message has been scanned for viruses and
dangerous content by MailScanner, and is
believed to be clean.