Subject: [seamoby] [MOBILE-IP] BURP BOF

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2001 12:05:00 -0600

According to the description of this new BOF, mobile IP already provides
"seamless and continuous connectivity".  Hmm, what in the world
is SeaMoby for?

Creating a standardized registration protocol for the  application layer
makes a lot of sense.  Perhaps some of the UPnP/SLP work can be
useful here.

---------------------- Forwarded by Phil Neumiller/MW/US/3Com on 01/19/2001
11:48 AM ---------------------------

Please respond to [email-masked]

Sent by:  Basavaraj Patil <[email-masked]>

A BOF on Basic User Registration Protocol (BURP)

Charter:

The vision of pervasive computing also includes constantly being
connected and the ability to access the Internet or the enterprise
over the Internet. Mobile computing solutions based on protocols such
as Mobile IP offer seamless and continuous connectivity for
users. However a lot of roadwarriors and other types
of users access the network from places like airports, hotels, malls
and sports complexes. These environments may offer access to the
network over wireless LANs or via Ethernet LAN ports or other
mediums. In such scenarios,
DHCP can provide configuration information  (e.g., giving a valid
address etc.), but there is no standard way for service providers to
obtain user information to perform AAA functions. For users
who do not have Mobile IP clients on their devices but would like to
access the network, they need to register and be authenticated by the
local network service provider before being authorized to use the
resources. The intent of this proposal is to develop an application
layer registration protocol that allows a user to register in the
local network by providing identity and authentication information
to the local network which then uses a AAA infrastructure to validate
the user, charge him and, authorize use of resources.

We would like to request a BOF on a "Basic User Registration
Protocol (BURP)" for the March 2001 meeting of the IETF in Minneapolis.
The objective of the BOF will be to
-- Detail the scope of the proposal and applicable scenarios

-- Chart a course and an action plan (including milestones
and deliverables) for BURP.

-- Investigate  the impact on existing  AAA  protocols  and  make it
flexible to support various authentication schemes.

The goal will be to define a standard UNI for  environments in which
neither PPP nor Mobile IP is required but AAA interaction is
essential.  The basic principle will include:

  -- The solution being a client-server application layer protocol

  -- Is applicable to both IPv4 and IPv6.

  -- User interacts only with a local Registration Agent (RA), which
  may reside on any node in the Network Domain.

  -- It should work with any configuration  protocol, such as DHCP, IPv6
  stateless autoconfiguration, and manual configuration.

  -- Protects RA from replay attacks.

  -- Provide information on and control of network usage.

  -- Interacts with routers/policers to limit packets forwarding based on a
  user's Service Level  Specification  (may be optional or may
  interwork with  standard policy protocols).

  -- Defines an RA-to-AAA interface

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

To subscribe to the mailing list for discussion on this topic, please
follow these instructions:

To subscribe, send mail to [email-masked], and
use "subscribe" for the subject line.

To unsubscribe, send mail to [email-masked], and
use "unsubscribe" for the subject line.

To contribute to the list, send mail to [email-masked].

For additional help, send mail to [email-masked]
and use "help" for the subject line.

---

From: Michael Thomas <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2001 14:43:49 -0800 (PST)

What I've never been clear on is how -- especially
for MIPv6 -- the leap was made that MIP is the
moral equivalent of PPP/CHAP. _I_ thought that MIP
was intented to affect routing changes, not to be a 
catch all for access control. 

	      Mike