Subject: RE: [seamoby] Micromobility Problem Statement

From: "Gary Kenward" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 4 Jan 2001 18:21:27 -0500

<flop>

Or DisneyWorld

</flow>

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Michael Thomas [mailto:[email-masked]]
> Sent: Thursday, January 04, 2001 1:09 AM
> To: Kenward, Gary [WDLN2:AN10:EXCH]
> Cc: [email-masked]'; [email-masked]
> Subject: RE: [seamoby] Micromobility Problem Statement
> 
> 
> Gary Kenward writes:
>  > Who is going to build these 802.11a networks and provide 
> them to users
>  > for free? 
> 
> <flip>
> 
> Supermarkets looking for a 2k version of Green Stamps?
> 
> </flip>
> 
> 		Mike, not entirely flippant
>

---

From: Phil Neumiller <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 04 Jan 2001 19:28:42 -0600

See my <rebuttal></rebuttal> below.

> >               Mike, not entirely flippant
<rebuttal>
It certainly wont be the carriers that paid exorbitant prices for 
3G spectrum from a variety of world governments.  Tell me please,
does it make sense to have a 2 Mbps (you can only hope) link to
cell sites several kilometers away?  Meanwhile entrepreneurs that
grock the opportunity gap, will be deploying better, faster, and
cheaper pay-for services on 802.11a etc.  Who will win the race for
profit margins?  I think its obvious but time will tell.  The 3G
folks are going to be saddled with a minutes-of-use model to recoup
that BIG spectrum expenditure while the local wireless crowd will
be able to re-invest into QoS, AAA, SeaMoby!, etc., while offering
relatively FREE access to the BIG I.  Most people are in and
around building/infrastructer when they NEED high speed access 
(some automobile scenarios are the exception), so local wireless
can clearly steal outright the majority of broadband wireless
customers from cellular.  Light pipes to access points is the 
future whether you folks living in the cellular world dillusion 
want to admit or not.  It all makes sense economically so it is
bound to happen.  It will be unsuspected players deploying the
infrastructure introducing an element of innovation and competition
into wireless that has been lost since cellular became the end-all
solution, then again it could just be Cisco and 3Com afterall...
</rebuttal>