Subject: RE: [seamoby] cart-before-seamoby

From: Michael Ruckstuhl <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 3 Jan 2001 15:23:34 -0500

Wait a minute - are we assuming it's RF? I'm thinking I have my laptop with
an 802.11 card and an ethernet card - when I can plug into the local LAN, I
do, and that becomes my primary datapath. When I unplug, the 802.11 card
becomes my primary datapath. Maybe I have an IR transport of some kind. I
don't know, but the point is that mobility has to handle any kind of
transport, and should seamless mobility assume RF?

mruckstuhl

-----Original Message-----
From: Kulwinder Atwal [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Wednesday, January 03, 2001 12:46 PM
To: 'Michael A. Ramalho'; 'Gary Kenward'; [email-masked]
Subject: RE: [seamoby] cart-before-seamoby

These seem to be related to a particular network technology, right?

That is ... given a network (radio/spectrum) design ... then "network
handoff triggers" are determined by the network designers ... and these
triggers can use such information to help determine when the
"triggering events" should be requested, right?
 
Is this not for wireless networks?
 
If so, then EVERY wireless network has a RF signal.  Not just Bluetooth.
And every radio I have ever put my hands in has had a RSSI.
This includes Shortwave, VHF, UHF, Microwave, Bluetooth and yes even cell
phones.
This is how a radio measures the signal strength.  Some radios called it the
Recieve Signal 
Strength Indicator, while others call it the Radio Signal Strength
Indicator.
This is fundemental.   Fundemental wireless terminology.
Look on your cell phone display, you will see it.
 
If you want to come up with a wireless protocol you must be willing and able
to learn and use some basic wireless terminology.
 
If you are working on a wired protocol then you should say so.

- Kulwinder