Subject: [seamoby] Location finding methods versus MIP home agent.

From: Phil Neumiller <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2001 20:38:26 -0600

Just some random thoughts....

I see that a home agent (MIPv4/MIPv6) can help us find a MN
with a static home address provided it registers when it moves
from FA/COA(prefix) subnet to FA/COA(prefix) subnet.  This
seems to replace the cellular equivalent of an HLR/VLR in the
location sense, not the AAA.

Also, one could image, an IP accessible HLR/VLR gateway.

One could also imagine dynamic DNS being able to handle this.

One could also imagine some sort of LDAP directory that helped
locate mobiles.

I am sure we could dream up more proprietary looking schemes.

Am I missing any of the other obvious possibilities here?

---

From: Pat Calhoun <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2001 10:48:04 -0800 (PST)

> Just some random thoughts....

which seem outsidce the scope of seamoby, but I'll respond anyways.

> location sense, not the AAA.

Mobile IP also allows for a mobile to receive a dynamic home address. When
used with AAA, it even allows the user to be assigned a dynamic home agent. 

There are two components to HLR.VLR, and mobility management is really only
one of them. User authentication, by way of the authentication center, is
being replaced with AAA.

> Also, one could image, an IP accessible HLR/VLR gateway.

No, the HLR/VLR is going away in the ALL IP cellular networks, and being
replaced with Mobile IP, for mobility management, and AAA, for authentication,
authorization and home agent assignment. > 
> One could also imagine dynamic DNS being able to handle this.

There are many that believe that once a mobile has been assigned a dynamic
home address, the home domain's DNS server is dynamically updated.

> One could also imagine some sort of LDAP directory that helped
? not sure that LDAP has to do here. 

PatC