Subject: RE: [seamoby] cart-before-seamoby

From: "Guilhem Tardy" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 4 Jan 2001 13:32:35 -0500

I seriously doubt that plug-in interfaces require the same level of seamless
mobility as RF (aka "Electromagnetic Radiation" ;) equipments. Assuming
there is a RF datapath on, then if you plug an ethernet card into some local
LAN, you can surely wait another second until the ethernet card becomes your
primary datapath. Without a RF datapath, you were entirely disconnected
prior to plugging in, which leads to the same conclusion. I dare to write
here that Mobile-IP is plenty enough for this type of mobility.
 
Guilhem.

  -----Original Message-----
From: Kulwinder Atwal [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Wednesday, January 03, 2001 5:19 PM
To: 'Michael Ruckstuhl'; [email-masked]
Subject: RE: [seamoby] cart-before-seamoby

My definition of RF includes near infra-red. Call it Electromagnetic
Radiation if you prefer. Maxwell's equations still apply. 
 
Whether it is:
 
- IR
- 802.11
 
We still can measure a signal strength.
 
But, you make a good point about switching between being plugged and
unplugged.
 
This suggests to me that L2 should handle roaming (seamless mobility) in a
homogenous network, because some networks like a LAN do not roam.
 
- Kulwinder. 

-----Original Message-----
From: Michael Ruckstuhl [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Wednesday, January 03, 2001 3:24 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: RE: [seamoby] cart-before-seamoby

Wait a minute - are we assuming it's RF? I'm thinking I have my laptop with
an 802.11 card and an ethernet card - when I can plug into the local LAN, I
do, and that becomes my primary datapath. When I unplug, the 802.11 card
becomes my primary datapath. Maybe I have an IR transport of some kind. I
don't know, but the point is that mobility has to handle any kind of
transport, and should seamless mobility assume RF?