Subject: RE: [seamoby] Location finding methods versus MIP home agent.

From: Jerome Privat <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2001 11:12:21 +0100

No, the HLR/VLR is going away in the ALL IP cellular networks, and being
replaced with Mobile IP, for mobility management, and AAA, for
authentication,
authorization and home agent assignment. > 

Pat,

When mentioning the "All IP cellular networks", I guess you are refering to
the work in 3GPP2 and not in 3GPP. As far as I know, in 3GPP (even Release
5), the HLR (or HSS)/VLR does not go away and GTP is used for mobility
management.

Jerome

---

From: Pat Calhoun <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2001 07:13:46 -0800 (PST)

> 5), the HLR (or HSS)/VLR does not go away and GTP is used for mobility
<biased north american hat>
oops, yes. 
</biased north american hat>

Of course 3GPP is different. I am still unsure as to whether 3GPP has even
agreed that AAA is in the HSS.

PatC