Subject: [seamoby] RE: [seamoby-mm] Thwap... that's my head hitting the wall...

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2001 17:18:20 -0600

> If I remember correctly you claim that
>you have a single solution that makes later distinction transparent. It will
>be interesting to see what that solution looks like.
>
>    - Muhammad Jaseemuddin

The solution removes the distinction between macro and micro, and employs the
same handover method universally (i.e. the same edge mobility code always
runs).

Since this idea of making the distinction transparent seems to generate lots of
heat in the MIP and SeaMoby WGs, I will be taking this in draft form to the
MIP group where the chairs feel it belongs.  End of story for SeaMoby.  If you
want some more details, read the rest of my raving below (NOTE: The section
below contains flame bait,  so folks, you probably should hit that delete button
 now!).  Thanks.

 - - - BIG WARNING  - - -

The following is NOT SeaMoby material and has only been posted to this list
as a courtesy to those following the "thwap" thread.

Well your still with me.  The method for doing this involves doing make-before-
break in many respects all the time.  It involves logically meshing of
neighbouring
(cells/coverage areas).  It involves using a common inter-BS/AP signalling and
bearer transport that allows heterogeneous radio types to work as peers.   It
involves using  SCTP to create semi-permanent logically named fault tolerant
tunnels between adjacent meshed bases stations on the edge of the global
Internet.
Bearer and  signalling traffic will be reliably transported between neighbouring
cells and access points independent of radio type.  The AP/BS itself is a router
and the core is just the global Internet in this architecture.  All radio
specifics
are hidden behind the "face" of an IP router.

This is really 4G stuff I guess.  The MIP WG is MUCH more focused on 3G stuff
at this time so I expect this work to be sort of back-burnered in the MIP WG
until the 3G stuff cools off.  Even then it might get shot down, but we will
probably
be deploying by then...

- - - DANGER TURN BACK NOW ---

<flame bait>
3GPP and 3GPP2 are NOT Internet architectures.  They took their legacy
stovepipe architectures and spray-painted them with IP and called them next
generation.   I suspect that after the 3G debacle has been exposed for what it
is (largely a pile of manure), people will be eagerly looking to 4G solutions.
Don't get me wrong, I have been convinced that the 3G systems will work and
that is the important thing.  Having a simple world standard with universal
roaming
does not appear to be that important to the carriers since they still prefer to
"empire build" around individual air interfaces and get vendor lock-in.  The US
government has  "nationalized"  its RF spectrum like the rest of the world so
 they can eventually relinquish its control to the UN along with the rest of US
sovereignty I suppose.

Don't expect much innovation in the 3G spectrum.   Only entrenched players
can overcome the barrier to entry (created by the governments) with their deep
pockets.  The carriers are also able to give certain TLA agencies access to the
data running over the networks as required by the  governments of the world in
their ever increasing need to watch and control our communication.
</flame bait>