Subject: [seamoby] change of subnet==macro-mobility?

From: Karann Chew <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 9 Jan 2001 13:00:51 +0000 (GMT)

I'm not sure if I should post question like this to SeaMoby or 
SeaMoby-Micro-Mobility mailing list...  

Anyway, could anyone help me to understand...

Which of the following statement is true?

1. Movement that creates a change in subnet, but within the same
domain, is considered as micro-mobility (i.e. The network ID of new AP
does not change, but the subnet ID does).
This could happen when a user move out of his/her room, disconnected from
his WPAN room, and then reconnected to a WLAN in the building.  Given that
the WPAN and WLAN are of different subnet id, but both under the same
network id and the admin domain.

Or

2. A change in subnet id is treated the same as change in network id
or network domain.  This is considered as a macro-mobility and should be
handled by MIP.

I guess 2 is correct.  Could anyone clarify if my understanding is wrong.

Thanks in advance.

	Karann

---

From: Henrik Levkowetz <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 9 Jan 2001 15:50:25 +0100

> I guess 2 is correct.  Could anyone clarify if my understanding is wrong.

	Karann,

	I tend to agree with you, although I'm not sure that the working
group has a consensus on this.

	What complicates the question is, I think, that in order to provide
good seamless mobility, you may need support (e.g. for context transfer)
also in case 1.

	So my viewpoint is that 2 above defined micro-mobility, but
seamless mobility may require solutions which assists MIP in case 1.

	Other viewpoints?

		Henrik