Subject: RE: [seamoby] Some thoughts and issues

From: James Kempf <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 5 Jan 2001 13:25:47 -0800 (PST)

Gary,

>We still seem to be having a hard time defining what micro-mobility is in
>the SeaMoby sense. Dare I ask what "micromobility in the classic sense"
>means?
>

This probably isn't going to help much, but we've defined micromobility
in MWIF as mobility within a radio access network, and macromobility
as between radio access networks.

		jak

---

From: "Michael A. Ramalho" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 05 Jan 2001 16:57:40 -0500

>as between radio access networks.

I think you are right. That definition might be OK for MWIF ... but ...
what would you call a "radio access network" outside of that context?

For example ... lets say I have an enterprise router with two types of radio
system access links on it ... and my mobile decides to request a handoff
between one wireless access link technology to the other ... but stays
connected to the same router.

Would that handoff ... probably within one subnet ... but between two different
types of radio access links ... be considered macromobility?

That would be odd, indeed!

I think IP-oriented people think of (micro)mobility w.r.t. subnets (or trust
boundaries or administrative domains) without regard for the actual technology
used on the access link. Conversely, cellular folks usually think of
(macro)mobility
between types of "radio access networks".

So what is our "[micro|macro]mobility" based on ... mobility between "networks"
or between IP "domains/subsets/domains/clouds"?

If we are talking IP mobility ... I'd suggest the latter ... but if I were
a cellular IP guy ... I'd probably argue the former.

This is why we need that problem definition .....

Michael A. Ramalho, Ph.D.
Office email: [email-masked]
Personal email: [email-masked]
Office: +1.732.449.5762
Cell: +1.732.809.0188
Pager: +1.800.365.4578

---

From: "Dana L. Blair" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 05 Jan 2001 16:35:42 -0500

>>the SeaMoby sense. Dare I ask what "micromobility in the classic sense"

This thread is very long so this may have already been mentioned.
Defining "micromobility in the SEAMOBY sense" means defining micromobility
in the internet sense since SEAMOBY is an IETF working group.  Micromobility
addresses directing data to/from a moving endpoint.  For the internet,
the endpoint has an IP address.

Therefore,  I believe that micromobility in the SEAMOBY sense should
address movement of an IP device while it uses the same IP address.  So the point
of the attachment (link) of an IP device may change as it moves, but the IP address assigned
to the device will not if the device is micro-mobile.

I have copied the micromobility alias since this discussion directly relates the problem
statement for micromobility.

thanks,
Dana