Subject: [seamoby] Upcoming REAL IP for Bluetooth BOF

From: Phil Neumiller <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2001 21:03:05 -0600

Hello Kulwinder,

I tried to respond to your Email regarding the REAL IP stuff for Bluetooth
but it kept bouncing.  Here are some of my first thoughts on what might be
nice to discuss in that BOF.  I sent this to SeaMoby list since many folks
on the SeaMoby list are also interested in Bluetooth.

1).  REAL SIMPLE ad hoc networking capabilities, i.e. limited it to a few
     hops so you don't have to worry about the scalability of flooding
     algorithms, etc.  The MANET group has been focused on esoteric 
     routing algorithm optimization and is in gridlock.  We need simple
     IP based ad hoc networking.  This is an area that Bluetooth can
     take a leadership role for future local wireless technologies.

2).  A careful analysis of the 802.11 to IP binding, and a good debate on
     why the same exact method would not apply for Bluetooth.

3).  Taking a lot of the profile stuff and generalizing so that it can
     be built on IP protocols and used on ANY wireless link layer like
     802.11b for instance.

4).  A generalized method for sending hints up to the IP/Transport layer.
     This is something that ALL L2s need, and Bluetooth can break new
     ground here and actually take a leadership role in the IETF by 
     setting a standard.

5).  The treatment of Bluetooth nodes that act as access points and 
     mobiles simultaneously (i.e. mobile gateways).  Just a simple
     treatment, kind of related to 1 above (MAYBE the same).

If I think of some more I will send them along. 

Thanks,

Phil