Subject: [seamoby] Was honeycomb hideout, now SCTP with mobile routers

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 5 Feb 2001 13:05:00 -0600

In many cases bearer channels can be and AREretransmitted as well
with a reliable link ARQ since the re-transmission occurs on a time
scale that is orders of magnitude smaller than the latency induced by
the network end-to-end.

However, this is not my main, point.  My point is that a couple hops
between MNs in some scatter net MAY very well have a negligable
round trip latency when compared to the larger scope of end-to-end
delay caused by TCP across the global Interenet to the CN.

Lets take a few nodes M1, M2, M3, and a gateway G for example.

Suppose they have an un-reliable transport directly between them as
follows.

|--------------Reliable SCTP---------------|
M1 <- un-reliable  -> M2 <- un-reliable -> G
 \ <- un-reliable  -> M3 <- un-reliable --/

Suppose further that M2 and M3 can both serve as routers  for M1 to
the gateway node G.   If I tunnel over M2 and M3 to G with SCTP, either
link can fail and my TCP payload goes through un-hindered and guess
what!  I get less overall network congestion.  This type of link hop RF
loss will be quite common in the busy bee scatternets that will become
prevelant.  There is some trade off in the number of hops where
this is possible and efficient as opposed to where it would break down.
I don't think it would work well with MANET-like algorithms.

Thanks,

Ph

-Phil

Please respond to Patrice Calhoun <[email-masked]>

Not within the context of the IETF I don't. As you see above, even the radio
guys know that *some* traffic shouldn't be retransmitted. I would hate to have
to impose such intelligence in routers as well.

PatC