Subject: RE: [seamoby] draft-ietf-seamoby-paging-problem-statement-01.txt

From: James Kempf <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2001 13:48:39 -0800 (PST)

>> The problem remains the same regardless of whether network assisted
>> or mobile assisted handoff is used. The point is that the mobile
>> only sees a change in paging area due to the L2 support for signalling
>> when it crosses a paging area boundary, not when it crosses a subnet
>> boundary. Hence, if there are multiple subnets per paging area, the
>> mobile does not know when it crosses a subnet boundary, and hence
>> it cannot perform a MIP registration.
>
>You're saying that when a MN crosses a subnet boundary it can't perform
>a MIP registration? Isn't that specific to the network assisted handoff
>techniques you have based the draft on? You could cross a subnet, get some
>kind of advertisement and then Register over whatever channel is available.
>

No, I'm saying that when it crosses a subnet boundary it can't perform
a paging area registration. Unless the paging area and the subnet
are exactly the same, and this is impossible to guarantee in realistic
deployments.

		jak