Subject: RE: [seamoby] draft-ietf-seamoby-paging-problem-statement-01.txt

From: "Karim El-Malki (ERA)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2001 21:26:17 +0100

Hello James,

Some comments on the paging draft:

"Regional Registrations - Signaling from a dormant mode mobile node
      to the network when the mobile node crosses a paging area boundary
      to establish the mobile node's presence in the new paging area."

This definition is in conflict with draft-ietf-mobileip-reg-tunnel-03.
Is it not better to choose another name?

From 4.2.1 Homogeneous Technology Networks:

"In the case where a single radio paging area maps onto multiple IP
   subnets, it is not possible to directly use enhanced network assisted
   handoff techniques between last hop access routers or foreign agents
   to track the mobile's location as it moves, because the mobile does
   not signal its location when it changes subnets. Within the set of
   subnets that span the paging area, the mobile's movement is invisible
   to the L2 paging system, so a packet delivered to the mobile's last
   known location may result in a page that is answered in a different
   subnet.  In this case, some support is required at the IP level for
   locating a dormant mode mobile that has moved into a different
   subnet."

This scenario is a consequence of using a specific Mobile IP handoff
approach.
If you used another approach where the MN signals (over whatever channel)
then
this would not arise and L3 would handle it. There's a similar discussion in
4.2.2 Heterogeneous Technology Networks.

It's not very clear to me why you base this draft on a specific MIP handoff
method and try to assess why IP paging is needed when using that handoff
method.

Regards,
/Karim

> -----Original Message-----
> From: James Kempf [mailto:[email-masked]]
> Sent: den 15 februari 2001 01:09
> To: [email-masked]
> Cc: [email-masked]
> Subject: [seamoby] draft-ietf-seamoby-paging-problem-statement-01.txt
> 
> 
> Please find attached draft 01 of the Seamoby Paging problem statement.
> Notice should be posted to the seamoby mailing list 
> ([email-masked])
> about its availability.
> 
> 		jak
>