Subject: [seamoby] Re: seamoby] draft-ietf-seamoby-paging-problem-statement-01.txt

From: James Kempf <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2001 15:05:45 -0800 (PST)

>L3 Paging can also be used to support MNs that 
>are 'roaming' but don't have/need an IP address...
>
>MN 'roams' but is not in communication with
>any nodes and thus, doesn't need an IP address.  
>As it moves, it MIP registers with new FA but does not
>request an IP address (but to make its whereabouts known).  This
>propagates to HA, so HA knows that MN can be reached via this FA.
>Later when a CN wants to send to the MN, the CN does a DNS lookup
>which points to the HA.  HA sends a L3 page message to FA, which
>triggers L2 page to MN to prompt it to send a MIP registration and
>obtain an IP address to receive communication from CN.
>
>This support is not explicitly stated in the draft, although it
>may be helpful to include.
>
>

What do you mean by roaming here? Generally, roaming in cellular
means a user comes up in a service provider's network that is not
their home network. I don't think paging could help with that, since
it has nothing to do with dormant mode mobiles.

		jak