Subject: Re: [seamoby] Upcoming REAL IP for Bluetooth BOF

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 5 Feb 2001 15:23:59 -0600

Hi Charlie,

I cross-posted this to MANET, please forgive multiple copies.

BTW, Thanks for the AODV recommendation...

As a casual observer of MANET activity I look at the work and I see no RFC
for basic ad hoc networking.  Case closed.  I do see the following work in
progress (which as been in progress for some time):

o (AODV) Routing
o Temporally-Ordered Routing Algorithm (TORA)
o The Dynamic Source Routing Protocol for Mobile Ad Hoc Networks
o Optimized Link State Routing Protocol
o Differential Destination Multicast (DDM) Specification
o Multicast Ad hoc On-Demand Distance Vector (MAODV)
o Topology Broadcast based on Reverse-Path Forwarding (TBRPF)
o Landmark Routing Protocol (LANMAR) for Large Scale Ad Hoc Networks
o A Simple Protocol for Multicast and Broadcast in Mobile Ad Hoc Networks
o Fisheye State Routing Protocol (FSR) for Ad Hoc Networks

While I am quite convinced that ALL this work is valuable and useful it
does not solve my basic problems (at least not in a standard way).
WHAT IS THE IETF's consensus and current recommendation for basic
ad hoc networking???  Would this work not prove to be better served
in the IRTF?  It seems the MANET WG should be working more towards
a consensus and a standard RFC protocol for ad hoc networking right?
If I am out of order here please explain.

Thanks,

-Phil

---

From: Zygmunt Haas <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 7 Feb 2001 21:07:46 -0500 (EST)

Hi Phil,

As a side note, you forgot the issue of hybrid protocols; i.e., the
tradeoff between proactive and reactive routing, as to achieve adaptivity
in the operation/configuration of an ad hoc network. Yes, the Zone Routing
Protocol (ZRP) is an example of a framework that supports such a tradeoff.

Yes, it has been worked on and some preliminary results presented in the
IETF meetings.

Zygmunt.
===--====
~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
Prof. Zygmunt J. Haas                    tel: +1-607-255-3454
Wireless Networks Laboratory		                  
School of Electrical Engineering         fax: +1-607-255-9072 
Cornell University
323 Frank Rhodes Hall			 e-mail: [email-masked]
Ithaca, NY 14853			 
U.S.A                             http://www.ee.cornell.edu/~haas/wnl.html
~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Words of Wisdom:
"Turns out that not where, but who you are with that really matters." 
						       David Matthews
--------------------------------------------------------------------------