Subject: [seamoby] SeaMoby QoS

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2001 10:35:46 -0600

The list has been pretty quiet since last calls so I thought I would say
something about QoS which always seems to get an "interesting" conversation
going.  Also, I am curios about what will be talked about in the MIP WG since
I have not seen a discussion on the MIP list about QoS?  Maybe I missed it.
     I
"Imagine a network technology that routinely loses information, expe-
riences variable and unpredictable delay in data delivery, and makes
no distinction between applications with different communication
requirements. Next, imagine that the use of this technology is growing
exponentially and that, even as networks become increasingly congested,
its applications are being extended to global-scale voice and video.

This scenario describes the situation we face in supporting real-time
applications over an IP-based infrastructure.  Such applications involve
data flows that have quality-of-service (QoS) requirements.  A QoS-sensi-
tive data flow cannot readily tolerate the effects of packet loss,
delay (and delay variation, or jitter), and fluctuations in network
throughput."

Saleem N. Bhatti, Jon Crowcroft, University College London, an excerpt
from their interesting paper:  "QoS Flows: Issues in IP Packet Handling",
IEEE Computing, August 2000.

This is a nice introductory paper on the all the fundamental nitty
gritty stuff of packet QoS.  Covers basic mathematical foundations of
intserv diffserv etc.

Thanks,

Phil

---

From: Michael Thomas <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2001 10:34:19 -0800 (PST)

Phil,

You should check out
draft-thomas-seamoby-rsvp-analysis-00 which makes
an attempt to sort through the various issues with
signaled qos in the face of mobility (both MIP and
MM), fast handoffs and context transfer.

A similar analysis is probably needed for
diffserv, though I suspect it's not as complicated
(at least I would _hope_ it isn't).

	    Mike