Subject: [seamoby] Re: New name -> Seamless to become Hidden Handover??

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 1 Feb 2001 11:06:25 -0600

Hi Jukka,

Please respond to Jukka Manner <[email-masked]>

        A HiHo handover deals mainly with QoS, so to an application and its

pdn>Wherever did you get this fixation on QoS?  IMHO, a HiHo  is the epitome
pdn>of handovers combining all desirable qualities including QoS.

flows a HiHo should not be seen. But if a HiHo is also a Vertical handover and
the IP layer's network interface changes, ie. a HO from a 3G network to a WLAN,
the HO is noticed, at least the user will see this.

pdn>If its a vertical HO, and the COA must change, it is no longer a HiHo or
pdn>a concern of SeaMoby MM (however SeaMoby CT is still interested).  This is
pdn>my understanding of the SeaMoby boundaries, i.e. Micro-mobility is invoked
pdn>when COA does not change, and CT controlled by either Macro or Micro
mobility
pdn>will always be invoked in some manner.

Take it easy,

pdn

---

From: Jukka Manner <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 2 Feb 2001 09:23:04 +0200 (EET)

Hi,

> pdn>of handovers combining all desirable qualities including QoS.

	Notice the word "mainly"... Anyway, if QoS weren't such a big deal, we
wouldn't have nearly such a big problem as the CT team is/will be having.

> pdn>when COA does not change, and CT controlled by either Macro or Micro mobility

	True, that Seamoby MM might not be interested, but CT team is definitely
interested: Context transfer deals with change of ARs, independent of whether
the link layer technology changes or not (or might be part of a CT, but does not
limit it).

	But isn't an inter-technology HO, that still maintains the context of
the MH a HiHo? If we do a HO from some 3G tech to WLAN and keep the QoS,
wouldn't that still be a HiHo? Or do we need a new term to define that HO:

"Context-aware" HO: context+seamless+including inter-tech ?

> pdn

	You too, :)

	Jukka