Subject: [seamoby] Minutes 2/14 MM Conference

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2001 11:09:24 -0600

Minutes 2/12/2001 SeaMoby Micro-mobility Problem Statement Drafting Meeting

0).  The major topic of this meeting was the discussion of the a06 micro
     mobility draft issued 2-12-2001.

1).  The SeaMoby micro-mobility problem statent team believes that the
     draft is close to being ready to be submitted to the IETF.  The
     plan is to have all final edits in this week and submit it to the
     IETF on Monday morning (Finland time).

2).  Once the draft has an official IETF URL this will be posted to the
     SeaMoby general WG list and comments will be taken from the general
     list at that time.

3).  The MM draft in particular probably created the most controversy and
     sweat for the SeaMoby problem statement design teams.  Please thank
     the editors and the contibutors for working carefully through this
     controversial problem space and Pat for keeping us out the rat holes.

4).  Due to the amount of controversy this draft can and/or may generate
     the design team members are prepared to defend the draft and only
     make changes for 1st order errors (serious systemic flaws).  The
     draft attempts to be solution agnostic so please keep this in mind
     when making comments.

5).  Present at this meeting were:  Dana, John L., Luca, Hong Yi, Peter,
     Mohammed, Henrik, Ram, Achal, Ajas, and Phil (me).  Sorry if I
     forgot anybody.

6).  It was agreed that another meeting would not be needed and future
     traffic for the draft would happen on the main SeaMoby list.

7).  It was agreed that real time traffic "requires" seamless mobility.

8).  Hong Yi, suggested that 1.1 be listed in order of preference.

9).  Mohammed suggesting adding between ADs as a fifth star in 1.2

10). We had a involved discussion about MANET.  It was agreed that
     SeaMoby will need to be sensitive to MANET issues and not interfere
     with them.  It was also suggested that some limited scenarios like
     ad hoc networking within a home may not require extreme scalability
     and could be handled by the SeaMoby micro-mobility protocol.  There
     is debate on both sides of this.  A subsequent description of some
     simple types of ad hoc networking that COULD be handled by SeaMoby
     MM will be posted to the WG shortly.

11). Henrik proposed some changes to section 2.2.

12). John agreed to take another editorial pass to make sure that terminology
     was used consistently.

13). Section 4 has some very detailed examples of micro-mobility.  Since it
     has only recently  been submitted it has not been reviewed extensively.
     It was agreed that section 4 should only be changed if 1st order
     problems arise.

As always if there are errors in these minutes please feel free to send
corrections to the list.

Thanks,

Phil

---

From: Pat Calhoun <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2001 09:13:50 -0800 (PST)

>      SeaMoby general WG list and comments will be taken from the general

I have no problems with sending an e-mail that includes a URL to the draft
before it is announced by the secretariat. Given that we are so close to the
deadline, the turn around time is high, and it would be great to get as much
time for the WG to comment. Of course, I cannot do a last call until it is
"officially" available.

>      controversial problem space and Pat for keeping us out the rat holes.

I don't think I am the one to thank. I just politely requested that we do, you
guys are the ones that made it happen.

>      MM will be posted to the WG shortly.

good, glad to hear the concensus on this topic.

PatC