Subject: [Seamoby] PPP context transfer

From: Nakhjiri Madjid-MNAKHJI1 <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 2 Dec 2002 13:17:21 -0600

Hi all,

I just submitted a draft on PPP context transfer; hopefully
it will show up on the mailing list soon. Although
the context transfer protocol design is in a work in progress,
I felt that the PPP provides a good practical example for context
transfer which shows significant benefits for a low bandwidth 
environment. I tried to leave most of the details of the actual
transfer process out until CTP work is more complete.

Please find the title and abstract below.

Regards,

Madjid

Title:Enhanced PPP link re-establishment using context transfer

Abstract 

Many of today's networks use PPP as a means of providing access 
    links to remote users. In case a PPP user is mobile and performs a 
    subnet handover, it needs to tear down and re-establish of its PPP 
    link with the network. PPP link re-establishment is an elaborate 
    procedure involving multiple messages. This will lead in an extended
service 
    disruption as due to the round trip time involved in the messaging 
    as well extensive radio bandwidth usage. Of this reason, we 
    consider PPP to be a prime candidate for context transfer. 
    The proposal in this document can reduce the number of PPP 
    establishment messages by 50%-100. Furthermore, it will save 
    significant amount of time in PPP state machine transitions, due 
    to the multiphase nature of PPP. Reliability and timing issues of 
    PPP context transfer are also discussed. 
_______________________________________________
Seamoby mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/seamoby