Subject: [Seamoby] state of the IP micromobility protocols

From: Artur Hecker <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2004 15:23:02 +0100

hello seamoby!

i'm sorry for my intervention. i'm currently studying the IP 
micromobility protocols proposed so far (Cellular IP, Hawaii, MIP-RR, 
EMA, IDMP, etc.) but i'm suprised to see that there hardly has been any 
activity in this sector since 2001: all the drafts seem to be expired, 
no RFCs have been published to my knowledge and there are hardly any 
publications on this topic anymore.

so, what is the current state of the IP micromobility protocols? are all 
the problems considered to be more or less solved or has there been a 
consensus on a general change of the approach?

please provide me with some information on this topic.

thank a lot for your time!

artur hecker
ENST Paris

_______________________________________________
Seamoby mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/seamoby

---

From: Michael Georgiades <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2004 14:39:55 +0000

Hi Artur,

I am not sure if you came across the draft below which proposes a context
transfer extension to cellular-IP micromobility protocol.
A new version of this draft will soon be submitted to IETF with examples.
Nevertheless I do agree with the issues you are rasing concerning the lack
of activity towards an RFC on the IP micromobility protocols!

        Title           : Context Transfer Extension to Cellular-IP
        Author(s)  : M. Georgiades et al.
        Filename    : draft-georgiades-seamoby-ctecip-01.txt
        Pages         : 13
        Date           : 2003-7-1

This Internet draft enhances cellular-IP mobility protocol with a
Context Transfer mechanism aiming to further optimise the handoff
operation in mobile networks. Within a cellular-IP domain, during the
handoff from one cellular-IP base station to another, cellular-IP
packets could be  used to initiate and transfer authorised context
from the previous cellular-IP base station via the cellular-IP
gateway to the new cellular-IP base station. This draft presents how
the context transfer extension introduced could facilitate in
reducing latency and packet loss by avoiding the signalling required
between the mobile node and the new base station  in  re-establishing
the desired state information.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-georgiades-seamoby-ctecip-01.txt

Cheers,

Mike

---

From: "James Kempf" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2004 08:27:10 -0800

There was some work in the IRTF Micromobility Research group, but they have
been dormant for about a year. There is a new IRTF MOBility OPTmizationS
(MOBOPTS) Research Group that might be a possible venue.

In general, the work in the IP micromobility area seems to be primarily at
the research level, and there are not, to my knowledge (which may be
incomplete) any plans for near term deployment (either commercial or
experimental) or product in this area. Hence, it seems like a better problem
for IRTF.

            jak