Subject: RE: [SECMECH] Draft EMU working group charter

From: "Salowey, Joe" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2005 14:58:25 -0800

> -----Original Message-----
> From: T. Charles Clancy [mailto:[email-masked]] 
> Sent: Wednesday, December 14, 2005 6:50 AM
> To: Salowey, Joe
> Cc: [email-masked]
> Subject: Re: [SECMECH] Draft EMU working group charter
> 
> > February 2006 - form design team to work on strong shared secret 
> > mechanism ...
> > August 2006 - Submit strong shared secret mechanisms to the IESG
> 
> Does this imply creating a new mechanism, using an existing 
> one, or starting with an existing one and modifying it?

[Joe] This would depend upon the output of the design team and what the
working group reaches consensus on.  The design team should work from
the existing literature (including drafts in this area) and not try to
invent something completely new.  The design team should work towards a
minimal implementation with a self contained set of functionality. It
could be possible to allow future extensions to meet additional
requirements if necessary.  My instincts and past experience tell me
that none of the current proposals would make it through the process
intact, but several of them would make acceptable starting points. 

> [ t. charles clancy ]--[ [email-masked] ]--[ 
> www.cs.umd.edu/~clancy ] [ computer science ]-----[ 
> university of maryland | college park ]
> 

_______________________________________________
SECMECH mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/secmech