Subject: [SECMECH] Re: I-D ACTION:draft-nystrom-eap-potp-04.txt

From: Magnus Nyström <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 6 Dec 2005 09:55:05 +0100 (W. Europe Standard Time)

Dear All,

[email-masked] wrote:

> A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts 
> directories.

>	Title		: The Protected One-Time Password Protocol 
>			  (EAP-POTP)
>	Author(s)	: M. Nystrom
>	Filename	: draft-nystrom-eap-potp-04.txt
>	Pages		: 84
>	Date		: 2005-12-2

> This document describes a general EAP method suitable for use with 
> One-Time Password (OTP) tokens, and offers particular advantages for 
> tokens with direct electronic interfaces to their associated clients. 
> The method can be used to provide unilateral or mutual authentication, 
> and key material, in protocols utilizing EAP, such as PPP, IEEE 802.1X 
> and IKEv2.

> A URL for this Internet-Draft is: 
> http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-nystrom-eap-potp-04.txt

Changes compared to version -03 besides editorial clarifications and
corrections include:

- Derivation of a special session resumption key (SRK) at the same time as
   derivation of other keys such as the EMSK and the MSK. This avoids some
   issues identified with the use of the EMSK as a basis for the SRK.

- Parameterization of the hash, encryption, and MAC algorithms through a
   new "Crypto Algorithm TLV". This is to allow for a transition to other
   algorithms in the future, should the default (mandated) set be regarded
   as inappropriate.

- Addition of a "Challenge TLV" for those cases where the challenge used
   in a challenge-response method otherwise would be unknown to the EAP
   server.

I would also like to point out that static passwords may be used with this 
EAP method too.

-- Magnus

_______________________________________________
SECMECH mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/secmech